Author Topic: Backing or no backing..?  (Read 2737 times)

Offline jeffhalfrack

Re: Backing or no backing..?
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 09:59:55 pm »
  Back it  with  some  more  Good  red oak!!  some  of  my  best  bows  have  been  white oak backed white oak,,,,a couple  I cut an 1\8th strip  out of the same board and  just flipped the backing over and end for end! now  I was  using  a  very  good  table saw  and  all I needed to do was score the glue surfaces with a hack saw blade like a  toothing plane these  I like to  silk  or  brown paper back   good luck  JeffW

Offline bow101

Re: Backing or no backing..?
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 10:31:26 pm »
I used a another peice of Red Oak. Have had good success roughing surface with 40-60 grit and even 100 Grit.   ||Perfect mating surfaces and don't over clamp|| Squeezing out all the glue will starve the joint.
I have glued hundreds and hundreds of door parts in the past.

Back it  with  some  more  Good  red oak!!  some  of  my  best  bows  have  been  white oak backed white oak,,,,a couple  I cut an 1\8th strip  out of the same board and  just flipped the backing over and end for end! now  I was  using  a  very  good  table saw  and  all I needed to do was score the glue surfaces with a hack saw blade like a  toothing plane these  I like to  silk  or  brown paper back   good luck  JeffW
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell