Author Topic: I got a shagbark hickory stave...  (Read 2267 times)

Offline Mike_H

I got a shagbark hickory stave...
« on: November 02, 2012, 02:44:51 pm »
It's 64" long and have it roughly 1.5" wide.  The plan is to do a d-style longbow.  But I would like to know if I can get away with these starting measurements and still pull off a 50# bow?

Width: 1.25" midlimb to midlimb tapering to 0.5" at the tip.

Thickness: 1" at the handle, fading to 0.75 midlimb, then tapering to 0.5" at the tip

I guess one could say it is more like and ELB but I won't be rounding the belly, just the corners.

P.S.- for those who care, I did get that stave Coaster500 sent me made into a bow.  She's about 60-ish" tip to tip and 44# @ 208".  I know it is too long of a draw for such a short bow but she works.

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
Re: I got a shagbark hickory stave...
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 03:16:30 pm »
i think that design would work but i would make the linbs maybe 1.5" wide and maybe a slightly narrowed handle section
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 11:51:22 pm »
Sounds like you are making something like what was common in the South Eastern tribes.  With hickory, feel free to go as narrow as 1.25" wide at the handle at the length you have.  If you make the handle a little stiff, but still a bit bendy, you won't get a whole lot of set if the stave is well cured. 

This is a really quick and easy bow to make, and a joy to shoot!  I've made a bunch of 'em outa hickory boards for a German film project.  I backed all of 'em with rawhide just to be on the safe sinde in case they got overdrawn.  No worries on the whole bunch, nothing failed.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 11:08:14 am »
I know I was on the right track.  Thanks JW.  This one was to be a very southern eastern woodland and a bit of snakiness to her..  Another will be very ELB if I can manage.  Similar dimensions but at 72" long.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 03:09:56 pm »
If you are even halfway interested in reproducing authentic Native American archery equipment, I can't overstate how important the book "Encyclopedia of Native American Bows, Arrows, and Quivers" by Steve Allely and Jim Hamm.  There are several volumes, Vol 1 covers the south eastern tribes, like you are describing.  There are no photographs, but the line drawings are VERY well detailed, the descriptions and dimensions are clear and concise. 

Plus, for history geeks like me, they list the source of every piece.  Most are in museums, but a few are from private collections.  I have contacted two of the museums listed for additional details on bows in their collections and was given nothing but the best cooperation possible.  Heck, I even had an invitation from one museum to come see parts of the collection that not usually on display!

But most importantly...POST PICS of your bow!  Now get to work!

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 03:42:02 pm »
It's not a replica.  i just want something similar to the ELB but not quite.  My other one is to be close the Tim Baker's "your first wooden bow"  from the TBB4.  i'll get pics when I get to work, right now rainy and cold.  I do all my work out side. =(  I envy you folks that have shops.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 03:58:32 pm »
Yeah, well, my current shop is an unheated garage....gonna be dicey out there pretty soon.  South Dakota ain't quite the real South!

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 12:24:31 am »
Thank your lucky stars it aint the dirty south...

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 09:06:38 am »
Now when you say "d-style" are you saying the handle will bend or are you saying d style cross section? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 09:53:01 am »
bend in the handle, George.  Some where in between an eastern woodland and an ELB but with a rectangular cross section.

birdpointlightstring32

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 09:46:55 pm »
one of my first working bows that didnt break was shagbark stave.. took tough ABUSE from this green hatchet.  :'(