Author Topic: Dacron  (Read 3403 times)

Offline Moggy

Dacron
« on: November 02, 2012, 12:09:54 pm »
Do most of you fellas run Dacron on your self Bows and Laminates?

Offline sharpend60

Re: Dacron
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 01:44:58 pm »
I think most do but thier missing out.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 01:52:57 pm »
Fast Flite.  Nothin' but.  I use Dacron for tillering and long string.  Others on here will swear by Dacron however.  The FF is thinner, lighter, stronger and less stretch.  I have heard people complain that it will damage a self bow.  I've been using it for 15 years or so and have seen not the slightest bit of damage to any bow from it, ever.  It can cut into the nocks on softer wood, but I add a few extra strands at the loop and the knot to fatten it up and strengthen those areas.  I also have been using tip overlays which eliminate that issue altogether.  Fear not, the next guy will extole the virtues of B-50.  Your good either way IMO.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 02:27:08 pm »
Dacron nothing but!  But that's only cause i'm workin on the cheap right now.  nothing against fast-flight but the cost.  What i haven't considered is maybe the cost balances out since you need fewer strands? 

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 02:39:17 pm »
You can get away with half as much FF.
You might need a bit more serving though.
To double serve where you nock your arrows.

Offline Bowman

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 03:22:19 pm »
Dacron is good and FF is also good. I think dacron looks more authentic on selfbows, but FF on flight bows will give you a little bit extra. Use nock overlays and horn. FF is the most recommended  on English War bows.
 :)
"for veik var kongens bue......."

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 03:52:32 pm »
You cant visually tell the difference between the two...

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 03:57:33 pm »
baler twine :) waterproof, cheap and performance wise campares quite closely to dacron
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline Moggy

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 04:13:08 pm »
My single concern was damage to the Bow! If I can,, I will use FF, IF there is a larger percentage that I will ruin a Bow I just worked on, I would use Dacron.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 04:17:12 pm »
I use Dacron. On my last bow I figured I'd try FF to tiller it and it split the upper nock. No FF me. I'd try it for tillering on osage with no problems. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline John D

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 04:59:07 pm »
So, intrigued by this thread, I looked FF on a supplier website for the first time.  I see a spool of FF serving material.  I'm trying to consider how superior tensile strength and non-elasticity would effect the serving process.  Is this something worth spending on? 

Thanks,

John

Boise

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2012, 05:44:34 pm »
I use the FF serving. Only because its what I have. I can't remember the diameter.
I dunno what I'll use next time.

There are some that are some sorta plastic. I havnt seen them used in years but I wouldnt go there. They seem inflexible and heavy, however durable or inexpensive.

I feel nylon serving is okay. It is added only for durability and to increase the service life of the string. In 25 years of shooting Ive only worn out a couple of servings. And thats at the nock point.
And for me, FF string is the only way to go. Hard woods or overlays and ya shouldn't have an issue.

I have know many bowyers that have had great success with it. Names you all know.
Shoot a B50 strung bow then switch to a FF and your jaw will drop to the floor.

I dont know how many strings come from a single spool but if you break it down per string, it is worth it many times over.
Considering you can break or lose an arrow on the first loose.

Offline Moggy

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2012, 06:12:48 pm »
Jawge,,do you think the fact that having no give when the shot hits dynamic brace that the FF string does not have any give? Seems all the energy would transfer and shock an all wood Bow (self bow) like a cable. Have you had many failures on selfys with Dacron? I'm thinking the only reason anyone has a limb tip phenolic is to keep the string from cutting thought the nock? I know it would undoubtedly strengthen the tip in the horizontal and linear plane of the limb too?

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2012, 06:20:36 pm »
I'm not speaking for George he has been building longer than I, a known fact ;)

But

I only use overlays for decor, I have never, ever had a problem with FF. Im not alone either.
Folks are just resistant to change.
It's why people still listen to classic rock...

But of course, take the info you have at hand and make you own determination.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2012, 06:42:31 pm »
I actually was just stringing the bow for the first time. I wasn't shooting. But sharpen60 is right. Everyone needs to make their own decisions. I don't want to stand in the way of progress. This is a red oak stave bow. I just glued the split back and put on an overlay. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!