Author Topic: Working a stave with a drying check. Input needed.  (Read 3900 times)

Offline Ifrit617

Working a stave with a drying check. Input needed.
« on: November 01, 2012, 04:52:47 pm »
Hi Guys,

This stave has some drying checks in the belly that I figured would come out with thinning, but it turns out they went all the way through. The crack is narrow and relatively centered in limb for most of the way, though towards the handle it begins to run towards the edge. (it stops 1/4" away from the edge of the limb), Initially I thought the check were only in the belly, but on closer inspection, they barely come through the back of the bow. (see red line tracing cracks in pic). What should i do with this check? After heat treating I can drop some superglue inside, though it is already closed up most of the way, but should I even bother with this stave? Help would be great! Thanks.

Jon

P.S. In the pic of the belly it is easy to see the dark gray stripe, a hairline crack runs most of the way down the length of this stripe for size perspective.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 05:29:27 pm by Ifrit617 »

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: Working a stave with a drying check. Input needed.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 05:20:00 pm »
As far as what people have been saying on these forums, you will be just fine if you fill it with superglue(the super runny stuff.) and i dont know about needing sawdust-like stuff to fill as well,(maybe someone will chime in about that.) What they have said is that if the check is liner then you are in good shape, if it is running from one side of the limb to the other then you will be wearing safety glasses if you continue.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 06:34:45 pm »
  Cracks on the belly can be a bit more troublesome than cracks on the back.  The belly cracks want to expand sideways under compression, which can open them up farther.  If it doesn't run off the bow as you indicated, then fill it full of Super glue and see what you get.  You can back it with rawhide or sinew, or you can just wrap the part near the handle with sinew if you want added insurance.  I would give 'er a try.  Just finished an Osage bow with cracks belly and back.  Filled with glue and shot it in for a few weeks before I gave it to a friend last Sunday.  It's shooting fine and they don't seem to be opening up any.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 08:18:48 pm »
Thanks for the input... any one else have any tips?

If you see this George what would you recommend? You know these short twisty staves better than most.

Thanks.

Jon

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 08:33:18 pm »
I've had those in osage and black locust, always super glued them and sometime wrapped area with sinew or thread if they ran to close to the edge, never gave me anymore problems. I'd say it should be fine Infrit.
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 08:47:20 pm »
Its been summed up pretty much.
CA glue, wraps or back it.

I wouldnt worry bout em.
But then again I like fixing problems.

Offline Newindian

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 12:06:21 am »
ill be honest i have a osage bow with a worse or equal crack than that on it, that i havent done anything about. after about 120 shots it hasnt seamed to change (but i will get around to the super glue ::))
I like free stuff.

Offline druid

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 02:50:40 am »
These cracks are almost invisible to me. I have bows with cracks so deep you can put some paper money in it and works great.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 05:58:34 am »
I would proceed... but that's me you could try it and if it blows up you know not to do that if it doesnt you get a little more confidence and experience :D super glue will help it from spreading ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 09:02:10 am »
Dang, I didn't think that crack would go clear through.  Sorry about that.  I have lots of bows with those in them I did nothing to.  However, since you're gonna make that wood work hard I'd superglue as people have suggested.  I would only wrap it if you see the crack opening on the belly side under load.  If you do, try to get the glue in it when it's opened up, then relax the bow and clamp it to let the glue set, then wrap.  It'll almost certainly mess up your tiller though, at least it always has for me.

Good luck, if that stave doesn't work let me know and I'll send another.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 09:42:21 am »
Cracks with the grain are rarely a issue. Super glue and clamp. This osage bow had several of these. I was able to narrow the bow and remove a few of them. "Crooked Bow" will  be 2 years old in Jan. I rarely keep bows active for more than a year because I like to make bows but this bow was an exceptional shooter. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2012, 09:43:12 am »
BTW these are wind checks. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2012, 09:49:00 am »
Sounds like a plan guys, ill keep you posted. Thanks for the offer George, well see how this one goes.

Jon

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2012, 12:57:49 pm »
Be sure to put a piece of tape on the opposite side of the limb from where you inject the glue to act as a dam to keep the glue from running out. The glue will fill every nook and cranny in the crack with the underside taped.