Author Topic: First Point  (Read 1781 times)

Offline Adam

First Point
« on: October 31, 2012, 09:54:15 pm »
Hi everyone.  I just knapped my first point today.  First off, I have to thank iconicmuffin for getting me excited to started knapping and Patrick for his excellent beginner video series on YouTube.  This point is from the bottom of a soda bottle.  I need to get some colored glass, it's tough for me to see my platforms well with a clear medium.  I was not able to get flakes completely across the widest part and it retained some of the curve, and is a tad asymmetrical, but I wanted to quit before I ruined it.  Overall, I'm pretty happy with it and consider it a success because it stayed in one piece and I didn't need a trip to the hospital for stitches :).  I'm certainly open to any criticism or pointers.  Thanks for looking!

Offline Tower

Re: First Point
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 10:26:34 pm »
A heck of a lot better than my first point. Keep it up & pretty soon you will be cranking them out.   Tower
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 10:28:33 pm »
Looking good Adam. Keep at it and yes the colored glass will be easier to see detail.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 01:32:11 am »
My buddy and I used to find points like that pretty often along the columbia river,we called 'em "Muckleshoots"  That is a fine first point,light years ahead of my first attempts. Keep going,your way ahead of the curve !  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 01:43:28 am »
Very good!!!! i REALLY think you did a good job! i would hunt with it and trust it to kill something, though i would go on the 50lb safe side. Only thing i dont like is the curvature. But in all honesty i really think that your doing wonderfully!
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 09:13:26 am »
good job for a first go at it ,I don't think mine was even close to looking that nice
Bone pile
Venice Florida

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 09:25:52 am »
Nicely done, Adam.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 12:19:07 pm »
Great first point Adam!!  dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Adam

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 12:23:26 pm »
Thanks for the kind words everyone!  You guys were right, this knapping thing sure is fun!  I'm hoping to work on a few more points soon.  Do any of you hunt with glass points?  I wouldn't have thought they would be durable enough and the tip would chip easily.

Offline billy

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 01:02:42 pm »
Great first point Adam!  Don't worry about the curved shape of the point....you first have to learn how to get your flakes to travel and take off mass where you need it removed, and you're still in the process of learning how to do that.  You have to get the feel of knapping first, and once you do that then you can focus on driving longer flakes, which will result in more perfect points.  That will take time, but keep at it and you'll get it.

And yes, I've hunted with glass and obsidian points and they work really well.  Glass points are surprisingly durable as long as you hit your target.  If you miss....well, then the point is often destroyed.  Hitting the soft tissue of animals usually does very little damage to the point itself.  The most damage that stone and glass points suffer when hitting an animal is the sharp tip gets dinged off, but they are usable with minor repair.
Marietta, Georgia

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 05:28:50 pm »
Nicly done  8) .Here is a trick to see your platforms lightly rub the faces of your biface with a hammerstone or something soft and colorful like chalk and it will make the flake scars stand out i work lots of bottle bottoms there cheap and expendable compared to other medium to work on. Look on youtube for paleomanjim, and practical primitive they have some great videos on working bottle bottoms jim shows how to get the curv out
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline Adam

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2012, 06:09:36 pm »
Skyarrow, I really like the trick using chalk.  I'll have to give that a try.  I'll check out those youtube videos too.  I have some novaculite and a few small spalls of obsidian to try, but I wanted to use glass for a little while first because I don't mind messing that up.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2012, 09:24:04 pm »
Nice first point keep up the good work.
Rob