Author Topic: (First Post) Short Osage  (Read 1888 times)

Offline DavidV

(First Post) Short Osage
« on: October 28, 2012, 07:56:55 pm »
Hi, first post, although I've been reading here for months. I'll be 18 in the next month and I have 2 bows under my belt so far:

Denim backed Red oak board bow 70"ntn 40# @28"
Hickory board Recurve 66"ntn 43# @28"

I also have a few stave bows roughed out and drying which leads me to my question. I cut down a 4" diameter osage yesterday and got 2 staves out of it. There's a cluster of branches that I thought I could work around when I was in the woods but it turns out they go too deep. So these staves are going to have to be cut to 60" or less. What kinds of designs should I be looking for and what kind of dimensions? I have a 26-27" draw depending on how I shoot.
Springfield, MO

blackhawk

Re: (First Post) Short Osage
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 08:06:59 pm »
Welcome to pa David...sounds like a simple bend in the handle bow is in order to me  ;) got any pics of your bows n wood?

Offline DavidV

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 09:59:54 pm »
Here's the hickory recurve, full draw pic is unfinished, sorry.
Used a homemade stain out of vinegar and iron. Bit of a walnut look on the hickory.

Springfield, MO

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 10:06:28 pm »
Welcome!  That is a fine looking hickory bow.  I love the finish work. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline DavidV

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 10:25:15 pm »

blackhawk I believe you helped my on the design of that bow on another forum  ;)

Have no idea how to make a bend in the handle bow. Do you just taper out from the center? Guess I can start looking up good handle wraps.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 12:43:37 am by DavidV »
Springfield, MO

Offline DavidV

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 08:27:26 pm »
On osage, is 4 inches enough? Is there anything I would have to do because of the high crown of the back?

I would take pictures but I sealed the ends with paint and you can't see the growth rings. I believe they are large enough.
Springfield, MO

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 11:48:27 pm »
serious bend on that one
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson