Author Topic: Missed but still a good hunt( Traditional but not primitive)  (Read 1159 times)

Offline Frawg

• Mayan Apocalypse Survivor
    • N/A
Missed but still a good hunt( Traditional but not primitive)
« on: October 30, 2012, 10:14:51 pm »
I was out this evening hopefull that this cold snap and the snow forcast may get some deer moving my way. I gather up my gear for my hunt. I get my Jeffery Trophy Longbow (no selfbow yet)and my side quiver containing the one arrow I have left after stump shooting ( Not buying anymore want to make my own, Hope Madcrow and Nugget can get me pointed that direction this weekend). I went and set down in the edge of the woods and waited, seeing nothing but snow flurries. Well about 15 minutes before shooting light left for the day three medium sized timber nannies walked out. I will not lie I was a wreck, (I have taken countless does with the wheels but I have yet to take any in the traditional fashion) Well the leader of this group of girls ambles in like she is queen of the world, browsing as she goes, while the other two stay just out of range. Well the doe gives me a broadside shot at approx 35 yards, way outside of my range with the longbow. I wait for what seems like a week (two Min's at most) for her to come closer at about 15 yards she turns to look at her back trail giving me the perfect shot. I am locked on to the spot I want my broadhead slice, hit my anchor and let the arrow fly. Right as the blade is about to reach its destination a sapling jumps out of nowhere and intercepts my arrow, protecting that doe in true hero fashion. The one arrow I had left is now broken, leaving me with nothing to do but reflect on a great time in the woods and a sapling that shall soon become a rabbit stick. All in all it was a great hunt and though I am disappointed in myself, I can now start fresh down the road to Primitive. So Hopefully my next post in the hunting/shooting section will contain pics of my primitive gear and the freezer meat I have taken with them.
Matt
Matt Bradley

Glade Valley, NC

Stringman

Re: Missed but still a good hunt( Traditional but not primitive)
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 05:36:13 pm »
I love it! Good story, Matt, and welcome to the addiction! May your quiver ever be full of straight arrows!

Scott

Offline Frawg

• Mayan Apocalypse Survivor
    • N/A
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 06:31:30 pm »
Heck, right now I would settle for a full quiver!!!! I have searched enough that I would give a go at maiking them straight myself lol.
Bad eyes and low light let things sneak up on you in the woods. Like zombies,Ninjas and saplings!
Matt
Matt Bradley

Glade Valley, NC

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 11:50:34 pm »
You evil sapling killer.  Nice story.  Maybe your luck will turn around soon.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 01:01:24 am »
Thanks for the story, brings back memories of other evil saplings I have encountered.,,, >:D
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Parnell

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 12:35:44 pm »
Good story Matt, hope the weekend turns out well.  Sounds like your in for it.
1’—>1’