Author Topic: Osage makeover  (Read 2531 times)

Offline okie64

Osage makeover
« on: October 26, 2012, 09:40:36 am »
This was a bow I built a couple of years ago and hunted with last year. It was 70" long and 50# at 28" and a decent shooter. I decided to chop a couple of inches off of each end and reflex the tips a little bit to bring up the string tension. One of the limbs developed a crack when I was heating in the reflex so I had to sand down below the crack and glue on some hickory underlays, turned out pretty good though. It shoots a whole lot quicker and quieter now and is a little easier to use from a treestand at 65" long. Its 55# at 28" and 1-1/8" wide out to midlimb or so. Had to scrape on the limbs quite a bit to get the poundage back down where I wanted it so the fresh osage is a little lighter than the old stuff. Thanks for lookin.

I'll try to find an old pic of the bow before the makeover when I have more time.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Re: Osage makeover
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 10:00:45 am »
Really nice shape on that one. I bet she is quick. Nice save on the tip underlays.  :)
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 10:18:28 am »
Nice job.  I've had to put on underlays a few times, nothin wrong with that. 

My big learning curve at this point is to realize just how little wood you need at the recurved ends.  I'm seeing that the crack develops only if I've got too much wood, even though I say to myself it's getting thin.  Takes practice!

Anyhow, it's got a great profile.  Hope you enjoy it.
1’—>1’

Offline okie64

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 07:48:17 pm »
Thanks lesken
Tanks parnell, I actually kinda like the look of the underlays. I havent mastered bending curves with dry heat yet, I almost always get those lateral cracks in the curves, especially with hickory. The last few hickory bows Ive made I used only steam to bend the tips.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 09:38:27 pm »
Nice save, and nice lookin' bow.  I too have used the belly lams for the same kind of issue.  I used our native Juniper as it is lite as a feather.  Great tiller!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 09:41:56 pm »
Nice bow.
Rob

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 11:32:06 pm »
Looks good. Real nice bend going there, bet it shoots a clean arrow.
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 11:40:02 pm »
The revamp gave it a real nice look ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline okie64

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 10:15:17 am »
Thanks slimbob, I had thought of using some erc for the lams but I already had the hickory planed down to size so it was the easier choice.

Thanks Rob
Thanks Greg, It does shoot a very clean, quick arrow.
Thanks Soy

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 12:29:51 pm »
Great tiller, and interessting idea with the underlays ... never done that. Shure a fine hunter!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 01:26:17 pm »
Makeovers used to be my favorite project. I am working an elm static and considered underlays, mostly for aesthetics because it looks real sharp. Good work okie. Mullet always says osage over 64" is a waste of good wood, I tend to agree!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 10:31:20 pm »
Hickory underlays.....  Okie, you have some cool tricks up your sleeves!  Nice save and a beautiful bow!
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 07:02:03 am »
Nice re work,well done. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline okie64

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 08:59:36 am »
Thanks Simson
Thanks PD, I dont remember what I was thinkin when I first built this bow leavin it 70" long. It is much more pleasant to be around now though.
Thanks hrhodes, It was too good of a piece of wood to throw aside and forget about. Im not the pioneer of the underlay idea but it is a pretty cool idea for saving a cracked belly.
Thanks pappy

Offline Josh B

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 09:26:01 am »
That otta work!  The two tone effect looks nice.  Too bad that its temporary.  Josh