Author Topic: Primitive Chokecherry Bow  (Read 3821 times)

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
Primitive Chokecherry Bow
« on: November 05, 2012, 04:14:50 pm »
So, a few months ago i was looking for serviceberry. I found this tree that i thought was serviceberry but looked a little funky. it did have a very strong smell, though, and i took a small branch to test the strength of it. Liking what i saw, i cut it down and into 2 staves.

The first stave failed because i had no idea what i was doing, and was promptly burnt. The second stave was the top of the sapling, so i threw it in my barn and didn't touch it till recently.

This bow isn't much more of an experiment, since i have some really nice pieces seasoning. It seems to be a very strong wood, though much softer than say hawthorn or serviceberry. I'm gonna use more of this in the future!

I haven't taken a single measurement, but i estimate it's 53" ntn, and probably 55# @ 25". There is no finish and i barely sanded it, plus it is side-warped, but hey it would work in a pinch  ;D
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
Re: Primitive Chokecherry Bow
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 04:23:48 pm »
yep that looks like chokecherry alright, good work!!
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 09:57:57 pm »
That's cool Zion. I love that super primitive stuff. I bet it would work just fine to put some meat in the freezer.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 10:07:01 pm »
Thats a cool bow for sure.
I hope it holds up for ya.

Offline bow101

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 10:34:00 pm »
Another great bow Zion, you definitley have the knack for working wood. I like the way you shaped the bow in it's natural rough form, truly inspiring..! :)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 11:26:41 pm »
I think you could probably slay something with that! Some of us do use bows as light as 55# you know! Anyway nice work Zion!      Dale
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 12:01:15 am »
Very cool bow, Zion. Well done!!!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Zion

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 12:49:59 am »
Thanks guys. 
Bow101, i also have a honed skill of breaking wood. I just broke a piece of hawthorn today because a splinter lifted off the side and ripped half the limb off.  ::)
Haha Dale, i guess i'm just not used to it.

I dug in to another stave i had of this stuff and found that it was quite dry to my surprise, i harvested it only about a month ago! Also there was no checking or anything, so it also leads me to believe that it dries well. I still have much to learn about this wood, though.

Offline randman

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 01:21:51 am »
Boy, yer just crankin em out! You need to get a girlfriend so us old guys can catch up. That's a beaut!  Love the simple rusticity of it (I don't put finish many of mine either - unless it's going to somebody)  Wish I'da spent more of my time when I was your age makin bows instead of some of the non productive pursuits I wasted my time on (like girls and stuff). I guess you could do both at the same time...probably eat into the homework time though...........
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline Zion

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 01:37:11 am »
Lol randman!!
I was actually home with a horrible sickness of some kind so that's why i had some time. But also a lot can be done in just an hour of work after school, which is nice!

As for girls, there's plenty of time for them during class  ;) ;)