Author Topic: Quick Question  (Read 3927 times)

Offline Dictionary

Re: Quick Question
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 04:20:22 pm »
That's what i was asking.

In the first 2 drawings i posted, i would take wood away from the red areas which were stiff to try and balance my braced profile as well as the full draw.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 07:46:57 pm »
Sounds like you have the right idea! The reason I asked what tool you were using ............ Tools like rasps and scrapers like to follow contours and sometimes make the tillering a bit tricky on a board bow or nice straight stave . If you angle the rasp so it is cutting more along the length of the bow ,it will bridge the low spots (hinge) and take off the high spots .  This may help you avoid hinges in the first place. IMHO they are likely the leading cause of bows coming in under weight.  I don't know your skill level ,so if this is something you already know , please don't take offence ,and kindly disregard. Good luck!

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2012, 08:09:28 pm »
If you angle the rasp so it is cutting more along the length of the bow ,it will bridge the low spots (hinge) and take off the high spots . 

Ahh, i gotcha. I will have to try that.

Id never take offense to anyone offering me help and advice especially those who know much more than me  ;D.Thank you all. I have learned a good deal from your answers.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2012, 10:35:15 pm »
Lets just call it different experience. Hope it works for you.