Author Topic: questions about black locust?  (Read 1130 times)

Offline mcginnis6010

questions about black locust?
« on: October 29, 2012, 11:45:05 am »
alright i have a few questions about using black locust as i havent used BL to make a bow so i was wondering if yall had any tips or tricks about using this type of wood. its 68 in. with a lil bit of snake to it with very little sapwood if any at all. what style bow would best fit this type of wood. should i back it or not?
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

blackhawk

Re: questions about black locust?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 11:54:51 am »
My personal preference with black locust is to chase a heartwood ring for my back,and make American flatbows with it,and particularly a simple bend in the handle flatbow. I find locust likes these designs the best,and will do it well if you do your part with it, I.e. proper design for weight and draw,and tiller it well

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 12:02:08 pm »
Thanks blackhawk i like the way flatbows look so ill probably go with that. i have a smaller stave as well and i was wondering if a d bow would be ok with BL its for a young boy in the neighborhood and he is interested in archery now and i would like to further that interest with a bow of his own.
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 12:16:15 pm »
Sure it'll work just great..just keep your belly on the flat side..I got a couple BL D bows and I love em. Its basically an American flatbow without a stiff handle,and like an eastern woodlands style..those look sharp and do well too with BL