Author Topic: Ash disease in the UK  (Read 2229 times)

Offline Matt_H

Ash disease in the UK
« on: October 26, 2012, 01:47:19 pm »
Ash dieback has finally made it to the UK, all because some idiot decided it would be a good idea to import ash rather than use our own (which constitutes 30% of all the trees in this country).
It's already killed 90% of the ash in Denmark

BBC news article

More info in this PDF
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 01:53:45 pm by Matt_H »
Still Lurking here, gleaning knowledge and enjoying the view.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Re: Ash disease in the UK
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 02:55:18 pm »
That's no good.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 03:01:59 pm »
Kind of makes you want to cry ,doesn't it. Within a few years it will all be gone here ,too. Such a beautiful tree with so many uses. It's the Emerald Ash Borer here, and it spreads like fire.They figure it came in shipping crates from Asia,to the ports on the East coast.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 03:16:18 pm »
Every white ash tree in Michigan is dead or dying. Its VERY rare to see a healthy white ash, very rare. I cut my last one 2 years ago and havent found one since.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 03:22:55 pm »
I have a few sickly ones, but in a year or two even they will be gone.  Crying shame. 

Russ

Offline LJB

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 04:15:37 pm »
Hi there.

Here in Austria it is the same. The "dying brance disease" became the "dying Ash disease". But there is some goog news as well, Fraxinus ornus (Manna Ash or South European Flowering Ash) is apperently resistant to this disease. F. ornus makes a very good bowwood.

As an arborist i am confronted with this all the time lately.

Greetings Leo

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 09:24:13 pm »
Dang beetles are killing them here also. Dead standing and dying ash everywhere.
Steve Bennett

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 04:29:33 am »
Yeah, like you say dunno why they need to import saplings, they are considered 'weeds' in some of the park land round here!
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline okie64

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 08:44:11 am »
Ive noticed a ton of dead standing ash trees here over the last year or so, I wander if this ash borer is the culprit here also. We had to cut down quite a few hickories here also that died in the last year, all of them were infested with these big black beetles, is that the emerald ash borer?

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 12:25:04 pm »
Here in Central Texas it's Oak Wilt that is the problem.  Entire Oak Motts wiped out, both Live Oak and Red Oak.  Looks like the fields were Napalmed.  This disease is also spread by a beetle, but the roots of these oaks are connected and is spread thru the roots from tree to tree.  I know it has begun to migrate to North Texas as well.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.