Author Topic: MY FIRST BAD YOTE INCOUNTER  (Read 3281 times)

Offline crooketarrow

MY FIRST BAD YOTE INCOUNTER
« on: October 23, 2012, 10:15:08 am »
   Last night was the first time this happen to me. So far this yearI only saw 4 bucks, one at dark I could tell how big (12 yards) and a spiker that I could have killed with a rock. Lots of turkeys.
  I set up in a new site I set to last winter. I heard 2 yote pups 100 yards. It got dark and I had my light in my mouth packing up. I heard something flashed my light(green) there 12 yards in my trail was a big male yote. He looked at me snarled and walked on down the trail.
   I've had 2 different times totes follow he across a feild barking yapping behind me as I went. I looked over my shoulder more than once the 1/2 mile back to the truck. You just never thing of yotes being agressive at least around here.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline H Rhodes

Re: MY FIRST BAD YOTE INCOUNTER
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 10:22:44 am »
If you have ever called one up when you are turkey hunting and watched him stalking you, it will make you remember that they are real predators.  If you spend enough time watching the woods, you get so used to seeing the bears, wild cats and coyotes, that you can be lulled into complacency.  These critters kill for a living!
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 01:40:48 pm »
i shot one while deer hunting last night my 7mm just picked him up and threw him down
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 03:29:14 pm »
    hrhodes I think your missing my point I've been in the woods once or twice.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 04:08:05 pm »
I got your point and I figured that you had  ;)  It is danged strange for one to come at you growling like that.  They are usually in high gear once they see you.  I imagine that raised the hair on the back of your neck.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 12:08:13 am »
Does your state allow you to carry a handgun while bowhunting?  I guess I wouldn't worry much if you had to argue right-of-way with a .45, but carrrying a bow that may or may not have an  arrow nocked, or even be strung may make for a weak arguement. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 12:16:59 am »
I had one charge me one time I was trying to shoot a couple yotes off a deer fawn they had caught.  It's the only time I've heard a fawn distress call in the wild and was hurrying to try and save the fawn.   I broke a stick as I closed in for a shot and one yote charged me from about 20 yards.  I think the yote thought I was the doe and went after me.  It realized I wasn't what he expected about 10' out and it's eyes bugged out and it bolted.  Sadly, I had brought the bolt action rifle with the big scope instead of the shotgun.  The fawn seemed to recover and ran off after its mother.  Not sure if the yotes (there were 2) came back and got it later.  I've taken 2 shots at them with recurves while deer hunting and have missed both times.  The silly things jump the string worse than deer.  If that one had been growling on the way in I'd have been a lot more riled.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 11:12:05 am »
   Yea GEORGE there really wired. I've killed 2 with a self bow both never knew I was there. I've taken 2 other shots while they were looking at me both times they had turned and completely move before the arrow got there.
  Yea we can carry a hand gun. Carrying a self bow and a pistol just do'nt go together.
  I DON'T LIKE YOTES AND ARROW THEM IF I GET THE CHANCE BUT I'M NOT THAT SCARED.

Stringman

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 06:21:31 pm »
   BUT I'M NOT THAT SCARED.
I think, were it me, I woulda been saying that all the way back to the truck. But at the same time, you can bet my heart woulda been PUMPING!!!

Scott
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 02:25:39 pm by Stringman »

Offline Jeremy Holden

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 11:00:38 am »
I had on try to pounce on me while a friend was calling during turkey season a few years back.  I think we scared each other, the coyote and me, just about the same.  Only he ran faster.

-Jeremy