Author Topic: very ambitious project... DX  (Read 10272 times)

blackhawk

Re: very ambitious project... DX
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2012, 08:08:50 am »
*DISCLAIMER*

Primitive archer is not responsible for any injury you receive from attempting the advice from any of its forum and administrative members.

blackhawk

« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2012, 08:55:11 am »
There's a better use for that board and its something you MUST have if you are going to attempt a pine board bow. Make yourself a rope and pulley tiller tree that allows you to stand back at a safe distance while pulling on it and exercising it. You do not want that coming undone in your face on a tiller stick with notches.

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2012, 11:57:16 am »
I read most of this thread and couldn't help but think what jakeas would have heard, had he asked Dean Torges? So here's my free advice:
    1.Don't ask for advice unless you are willing to accept that advice.
    2. Listen to the voice of experience. Doesn't mean you have to abide by it, but you should listen and not respond in a negative manner.
    3. "Old" people are your very best source of information in this world. Better than books or internet!
    4. Always accept the fact that you don't know everything.
    5. Finally, print this and read it in about 15 years from now.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2012, 12:08:20 pm »
 ;D ;D Yep.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline dwardo

« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2012, 12:50:45 pm »
When i was in my teens i thought I knew everything, my 20`s and early 30`s I knew I knew everything.
Now I realise I knew bugger all.               Which is nice as it gives me a fresh start :)

Definitely back it to stop splinters flying if it goes pop. A nice big splinter in the face or eye will certainly ruin your day. Make it long and wide and dont go with anything fancy like recurves.
Slightly bending handle will give you more working bow and spread the load over a wider area.

Not sure where you are buying your ash from but unless i saw it in the flesh my self before hand i would be wary.

Where abouts in the UK are you roughly? Also you mentioned Hazel which is a great bow wood if treated properly. You can go from green hazel to a finished bow in no time if done properly ;) Takes nawt more than a little "initiative" and a pruning saw to fine some too ;)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 12:54:01 pm by dwardo »

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2012, 01:06:42 pm »
Im 18 and ive got it all figured out and i dont need anyone to tell me otherwise   ::)
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Nifty

« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2012, 02:35:05 pm »
If you have a saw or even a hatchet, you can rip or split that pine board down to 1/2" by 1/2" (ish) squares, then use your handy plane to plane the corners down to 8 sides, then the 8 to 16, then sand them round and you've got the beginnings of great arrow shafts!

I've made a half dozen squirrel thumpers out of a nice straight-grain pine board, a few turkey secondary feathers, and a handfull of 3/8" nuts (just thread on the tapered point end and glue in place). They're not pretty, but they fly well and really put the thump to squirrels (and empty milk jugs). I need to post pictures of those...  ;)

The point is, use the pine for arrows, not bows! It works well. I enjoy making arrow shafts about as much as making bows, much more rapid gratification.
-Daniel B

"You can take the boy outta the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline Bohunter0908

« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2012, 03:35:01 pm »
Jakeas,
The first bow i made was a pine board molle and it failed i was think kind alike you
First bow go cheap looking back i wish i used oak or even ash . There is lots of good advice in this post and on this site
im not going to tell you dont do it but i will agree just becarefull. Btw i built that bow before i ever got on this site and wish i wouldve gotten on here first. Also i did get about 4 arrows shot off the bow before breaking only because i backed it with a tshirt. Anyways just have fun and becareful.

-Bo-
LA PORTE TEXAS
Take a kid hunting today and you won't
Have to hunt for the kid tomorrow

Offline jakeas

« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2012, 05:09:28 pm »
looking back i reget some of the posts i put. if i were to be my normal self i would have blamed my angry posts on my bad head. (and no i wasnt the bow. ;)) but looking back i was being fairly unfair to some of you kind folk.
thanks to every one for your advice and just to say i am following it. i am currently drawing up plans for an ash pyramid style flat bow. the pine bow is drawn up and ready to have the handle stuck on. after this i shall cut to shape and so on. i will post pictures of the "infamous pine bow" shortly to let you all know my progress.
and it would be helpful if anybody knows a white ash dealer in the norfolk area of the uk?
thanks again
j

Offline bubby

« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2012, 06:20:39 pm »
jakeas, there are several uk bowyers on this site, maybe you can contact them, one might be close, or maybe you can trade for materials or something, just have fun, that's the point of all this is fun, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline dwardo

« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2012, 06:31:51 pm »
I would ask around any of your local tree surgeons if you can and see what they have.
You want palm width kind of thickness trunk and cut off a nice clean branch and knot free section.
You can go smaller maybe wrist thick but the main aim is nice and clean for atleast your height. It can take a long time to tiller a nice bow and you want to be in with the best chance you can. Even guys with a lot of experience will blow a bow with more things in their favour than a poor stave.

Look for wasteland and verges along roads where trees grow all together and tall n thin. This means less branches and knots.
Also see if any of your family or friends ever come upto cheshire and I will try and get a stave to them.
I know it sounds like for ever to cut season and get to a bow but the time can be cut drastically whilst keeping you busy all the way through the build. Its even better to do a few at a time so you always have something to work on as in cut and split 2 or 3 saplings, rough them all out and de-bark, stick them in a upstairs room and get them fast drying.

There are a few quiet places where a pruning saw will get you a nice stave ;) Dont be thinking gardens or parks, think more wasteland and places where no one has planted lots of nice timber. Talk to any local farmers and explain what you are interested in and take pictures. See if they can help.

You say you are drawing up plans bud. We all do that and most of them are in the bin half way through the build. With experience the wood lets you know what kind of bow it will be and slaps us if we dont listen ;)

Starting out as young as your are you will be posting bows here in a few years that put us all to shame.

Stay safe.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 06:38:27 pm by dwardo »

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2012, 11:32:26 pm »
Irregardless Of the success or failure Of the pine bow I must confess you spark quite a conversation... stay true to the course and welcome to p a young man ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2012, 06:03:01 am »
One thing I have found out for sure,you have to be hard headed to do this stuff. :)
Looking forward to your progress. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good