Author Topic: Does string follow lead to set?  (Read 24798 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Does string follow lead to set?
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2012, 04:15:03 pm »
LOL, PD. THat would be an interesting dissertation for pHD. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PatM

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2012, 05:16:24 pm »
Well anyone with a minimal knowledge of bending wood permanently knows that by using heat or steam  we are permanently collapsing or at least compressing the wood on the concave side of the bend.  Do you think those wood cells magically vanish in order to get out of the way?
 Of course they have to be "damaged" in order to do that. Why would this cause more breakage?  Chrysals have the potential to decrease breakage, not increase it.
 Plenty of leeway to straighten wood by "damaging" it before it becomes more likely to break.
 It also depends what you mean by "heating and bending towards the tips". Bending which way? Recurving or flipping? Straightening kinks so that they are flat...?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2012, 05:42:58 pm »
Pat if I start tillering with 4" of reflex and end up with 2" of reflex after shoot in. Is that string follow? Or set?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2012, 05:52:30 pm »
  And to PD's question, I pose the opposite.  If I design an R/D bow to have the tips lie 1 inch behind the handle before it's ever shot in, does that bow follow the string?
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline PatM

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2012, 05:59:35 pm »
 It's called string follow because the string is the force that applies the set. I'm not sure why this degree of something is so hard to grasp.
  I've often said that nobody but the builder knows the original profile of the stave so why so much agonizing over what to call it?
 Technically I would say that from an original profile of 4 inches of reflex, your stave has followed the string to 2 inches of set from the original profile.
 So it has either  2 inches of string follow or 2 inches of set, because they are the same thing.
 Remember you're giving all the data. If you just handed someone a shot in stave with 2 inches of reflex they wouldn't be able to even discuss it's degree of set/string follow, even though it is hidden in there.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2012, 06:03:43 pm »
Its not hard to grasp my friend, its hard to agree with.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2012, 06:11:06 pm »
Since you do "get" it then you will soon realize it's semantics..

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2012, 06:14:05 pm »
 PatM,

Why do people bother differentiating between string follow and set?

PearlDrums,

'
String follow and set are two totally different birds and do not mean the same thing, not even close.

What are you definitions?
We all know you can build a decent bow, lets hear it.

Offline PatM

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2012, 06:23:19 pm »
I really don't know why they bother. I think it's partially a need to over-complicate things.
 Bottom line is how lively the bow stays when shooting, not what it does when unstrung or what it originally looked like.

blackhawk

« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2012, 06:25:18 pm »
So if they are the same thing then two identical bows shot in with 1" of reflex,one starting with 1 1/2" reflex and the other that started with 6" are the same thing? Do the math. They are NOT the same. If I posted a bow that was 1" reflex and it started with 6" and I said in my post it had 5" of string follow, I would get a whole bunch of people confused saying "huh".."what".." that doesn't look like 5" of string follow to me". And by your definition this bow wood have 5" of string follow? Separating the two by different definitions clarify this.

Set and string follow are two different definitions. <----thats a period.

blackhawk

« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2012, 06:32:02 pm »
  And to PD's question, I pose the opposite.  If I design an R/D bow to have the tips lie 1 inch behind the handle before it's ever shot in, does that bow follow the string?

Yes it does have one inch of string follow because you induced it..read the simple definition Bryce posted...

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2012, 06:32:57 pm »

What are the definitions?
And where does the 'temporary set' fit ?
Btw...
Ive read the definations in TBB4. But other places in the book (s) it says something like " the bow has taken only 1/2" set and follows the sting just 1" after unstringing...."
That implies something else is happening. Not set.

I know this is a contentious subject... But this is exactly what these forums are for and how we advance our art....

« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 06:38:22 pm by sharpend60 »

blackhawk

« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2012, 06:41:56 pm »
Set: permanent deflection on the limbs, resulting from compression of belly wood beyond its elastic limit. Set and string follow are not the same.

String follow: where by set, design, or natural deflex in the stave, an unbraced bows tips rest some distance bellyward of the back. Usually the result of set.

-TBB4

Kind of restates what some have already stated. But this seems more basic to understand.

Its already been stated multiple times..and Bryce stated them the easiest in layman's terms quoted from the tbb..

blackhawk

« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2012, 06:45:20 pm »

What are the definitions?
And where does the 'temporary set' fit ?
Btw...
Ive read the definations in TBB4. But other places in the book (s) it says something like " the bow has taken only 1/2" set and follows the sting just 1" after unstringing...."
That implies something else is happening. Not set.

That means that bow started out with a 1/2" string follow probably due to the natural state of the stave

I know this is a contentious subject... But this is exactly what these forums are for and how we advance our art....

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2012, 06:55:45 pm »
Set is more like a verb and string follow adjective, I get it.

What I really want to know... and hasnt yet been answered is...

Will my bow not bounce back?
If after unstung it follows 1 inch, is that a predictable indicator of set?
So far PD's first post has come the close but isn't nearly complete.

And what of bow that are 10 years old?
Do they still bounce back to the unstrung profile?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 06:59:27 pm by sharpend60 »