Author Topic: Toying with bow building buisness!?  (Read 9639 times)

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Toying with bow building buisness!?
« on: September 29, 2007, 04:27:27 pm »
Well, I'm thinking of going into the bow building buisness as a side hobby. Anyone done this and have any info on how to go about it? I have gotten a lot better now with building laminate warbow designed bows and think I can market them to select buyers and will add self stave bows into the mix later.  Should I do it as a custom buisness or just have a back stock of bows built? Any help or knowledge on doing this will be apreciated!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Toying with bow building buisness!?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 06:12:48 pm »
Building a business is a personal decision.  Beware the liability. I would hate to see someone loose and eye to a broken bow and come after you for $1,000,000,000.  :P Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 08:15:31 pm »
I think it would be a bit difficult to sue me for something like that. I will have them sign a waver/guarantee when they puchase with an understanding that they take responsibility for any consequences. Its all boilerplate and I own one buisness already so I'm insured too under its plan. First ones will be stictly English Longbow and warbow designs and then I will bring out Holmalgaards. Dont want to do to many varieties but be very very good with the two or three I make.

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 08:46:32 pm »
I would consider starting small, custom order only to start that way you can build them specific to the customer. Another possibility is offering kit bows.
I would be wary about investing to much too soon. Also don't burn yourself out to a point ya get disgusted and lose the fun factor.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline lowell

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 09:09:11 pm »
For me, if it were to become a business it would no longer be a hobby!   :)

My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 09:12:13 pm »
I think it would be a bit difficult to sue me for something like that. I will have them sign a waver/guarantee when they puchase with an understanding that they take responsibility for any consequences. Its all boilerplate and I own one buisness already so I'm insured too under its plan.
David T
You don't have to be wrong to be sued. With all the lawsuits by people who were tresspassing, I don't know how well a waiver would help.  Make sure you have a personal umbrella policy or a policy for this business.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 09:17:26 pm »
Yep! I know what ya mean about burn out. My soap buisness kinda went that way and I'm really burned out on it. But still love it better than working for someone else.

I am pretty much staying away from kits. I want to make only special hand made bows for people who are looking for handmade unique items.  Probably most of my bows will be laminates of two to three woods but I will also be doing some staves too.

Dont worry about burn out! I dont plan on being tied to the buisness but just doing it as a side thing. If I get well known I will start a waiting list. Also planning on having a small back stock of built bows that people can choose from too.

Weird thing is I keep learning new tricks and faster more efficient ways of building these bows with hand tools. I built a bow for a friend the other day and then learned another trick that makes it even easier and a better to built bow.

Also, I'm thinking the standard bows will be built with hickory as a backing and then othe woods for the middle and belly woods and eliminate the horn for bows under 65# since hickory is such a tough bow wood. Then adding a hardwood such as Ipe, purple heart, or bubbinga as tip overlays from 65# - 90# bows. Then when weights go higher for warbows using only horn nocks.

Now I just need to find hickory backings that can stand weights up to and above 100#'s. Can someone IM me on people they know who have these in supply I can order often from?

Cant wait to get started!

David T

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 10:07:53 pm »
My first stop would be to an attorney. Get it straight from the legal communities mouth, they will be able to tell you what you can be sued for and what not. Considering some of the stupid law suits you read about in the news I would want legal advice before I go public.
VB

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2007, 10:58:56 pm »
No problem! I will check out all the angles first.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2007, 01:16:47 am »
    David,What few bows I have sold or traded was kinda fun.The ones that somebody wanted to their spec's were a pain in the a$$.If you have a real job and you have to get a bow finished for somebody that is paying you,you have to work on it whether you are tired or want to go hunting instead.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2007, 01:39:00 am »
david a hickory backing that will make a 50# bow will not be under any more stress than a 100# bow. I do have a source for hickory backings at $7.00 each non sanded. I buy about 100 at a time, be more expensive if you buy less. probably best to buy raw hickory and saw it up yourself if you can. I would like a primitive arhery related business but want to keep bow making fun. My idea a a coffee shop with a patio for bow making and I sell tools, books supplies, coffee and snacks. Steve

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2007, 06:58:56 am »
Now that is a hell of an idear Badger ;D When's it open ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Beleg813

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2007, 11:55:06 am »
Perhaps not just a coffee shop, you could employ several other (willingly of course) and throw in knapping, butchering, heck I just read someone's post on making clay pots the old-way, some venison jerky and coffee while flint knapping, the whole kit and kaboodle.

And, let me know when it opens :) I'll gladly be the first customer!! ;D

Offline Badger

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2007, 02:55:45 pm »
Beleg, that is kind of what i had in mind, I wanted the decor of the coffee shop interior to be well decorated, warm and cozy all that stuff but also be almost like a walking history lesson. Bows decorating the walls mostly replicas, with a history lesson next to each one. The idea wpuld be just to sit out on the patio and be making bows, as others observed hopefully they would join in. Have personnal lockers large enough for a few staves and a tool kit for a very small monthly fee. Good music and the smell of fresh pastry permeating the air at all times. Would have to be inviting to the opposite sex as well and a good social climate. The extended version of this is a bed and breakfast on some acreage with a 3 d course and a bow making  shed. Fish pond, garden, and lots of things for the wives to do such as quilting, canning, candle making etc. For this one I wanted to include the locals, kind of provide them with a hangout while thery inatvertantly help to entertain the guests.

Beleg813

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2007, 05:15:28 pm »
That sounds like a great idea, Badger :) If I had either the time, the expertise, the money, the know-how, etc. I'd look into starting something like this up myself. But, I'm broke, I haven't even made my tillering tree for my first bow yet, never started my own business, nor have I canned, quilted or made candles...just think of me as the guy in the background cheering on the hero...he never really does anything just makes a lot of noise :P

All joking aside--this sounds like a great idea and I'd be happy to volunteer some time and/or effort if needs be :)