Author Topic: very ambitious project... DX  (Read 10269 times)

Offline bubby

Re: very ambitious project... DX
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2012, 03:19:24 pm »
no arrogance on this end, you ask for advice and didn't hear what you wanted, said you can't tiller then said you knew what you were doing, no use getting pissed off, nouthing wrong with a pine board, pine makes nice furniture, just listen to this one piece of advice, when you draw that back, wear a helmet, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline vyadha

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2012, 03:29:19 pm »
If its really straight grained save some of the pine for a few arrows.

Offline jakeas

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2012, 03:34:17 pm »
ok bubby will do. :p i guess i did lose track of what i was saying there but to be fair i was referring to tillering with pine.

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2012, 03:39:34 pm »
If i were going to try what you are i would forget the recurves and pyramid design and stiff handle. Back it with linen or silk or worts case cotton tshirt. Leave it full width untill last 10 inches then taper to 1/2 inch at nocks. I would narrow handle to 1 1/2 inches and tiller it to bend in the handle. As stated before get the whole limb bending, no stiff tips. Go for a low draw weight 25 to 30 pounds max. Never draw it to any higher weight than either your aim weight or untill you see a problem in the tiller. Keep back and belly as flat as possible exept slightly round all edges so there are no sharp corners. At least in my opinion that will give it the best chance of actualy surviving. I wouldt put on tip overlays untill i had it tillered and shooting. No use wasting good wood on a bow might not make it. Its one of the last thing i do no matter what wood im using.
Steve Bennett

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2012, 03:41:18 pm »
You cant tiller wood that wont bend. Thats the WHOLE point of this conversation.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline jakeas

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2012, 03:47:23 pm »
thanks for the advice turtle. i will use this and see how it goes.
and pearl please give over.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2012, 03:50:37 pm »
This is silly..........you'd have better luck and probably spend the same cash using a peice of red oak from lowes/homedepot with grain that runs all over the place.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Josh B

« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2012, 04:13:06 pm »
This is silly..........you'd have better luck and probably spend the same cash using a peice of red oak from lowes/homedepot with grain that runs all over the place.

I doubt those stores are easy to find in the UK  ;)  That being said, you are probably right.  But, its his time to waste.   All I ask is be as careful as possible and make sure no one else is within shrapnel range while you work on it.  Lessons learned the hard way are still lessons learned.  The trick is to learn it without the cost of life or limb.  Good luck!  You'll need it.   Josh

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2012, 05:48:32 pm »
Use the Pine.  It may not be the best but if you back it with something like rawhide or silk and be extremely picky about the tiller then you should be able to turn out something that will shoot and survive.  Make sure you make it long, at least 72" for a 28" draw.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Tortoise

« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2012, 07:41:27 pm »
Always wanted to see someone try and tackle pine, I bet you could pull it off. Post pictures!
-Peter
Arizona

Offline Derek_MI

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2012, 07:46:17 pm »
Jakeas,

Go for it! Take notes. Take pictures and maybe video when tillering.

I recall reading in one of the Bowyer's Bible series about a bloke who tried a pine bow and it worked out OK. I think it was in the section on bow wood. I also remember the author saying only a newbie would try it, but it turned out better than all the "experts" said it would.

Good luck and just go slow, be deliberate and cautious.

Post up some pictures when you get it done.

Derek

Offline aaron

« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2012, 12:56:52 am »
jakeas-please don't give up on this forum because some of us have strong opinions and such. Although i see the point of those who say that beginners should use the best materials, I also see your point that you just want to build some skills with the tools and materials you have. I am with those who say "go for it" . You will not get a great bow, , but you will learn alot. We will help you, especially if you do what we say- that is, follow the advice of at least one person here. Your best chance of success will come by setting low expectations for the bow, that is low draw weight, short draw length, no stiff tips. I was not joking when i said that brown paper bag makes an acceptable backing for the type of bow you're making. A good next step would be photos of the board with some pencil lines showing where you intend to cut it. 
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Tortoise

« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2012, 12:59:04 am »
Exactly like aaron said, my first piece of wood I ever tried to make into a bow was red oak, it did NOT go well (made it way too short, too deep, bad nocks) but I learned a LOT about the craft, what tools to use and how to use them. Go for it and enjoy it, even if it doesn't work!
-Peter
Arizona

Offline Josh B

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2012, 01:23:21 am »
Just for clarification, my post sounded a bit more negative than intended.  I am not trying to dissuade you from trying it.  I'm simply asking that caution be taken.  As has been pointed out, there have been pine bows made in the past and I'm reasonably sure they will be made in the future.  Maybe yours will be the next, who knows?  As far as the opinions go, some are a result of experience , some are probably more of a case of pontificating from the posterior with no personal experience whatsoever.  But all the opinions were presented with your best interests in mind.  Even the dissenting opinions were given to help you and not posted out of simple contrarian spite.   Turtle and Marc both offered good advice.   If followed, you might just pull it off.  At least I hope you do.   Once again, good luck!   Josh
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 01:35:57 am by Gun Doc »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2012, 06:18:46 am »
Wouldn't be my choise of wood but if that is all you have go for it,I read somewhere about a pine bow that worked,just make it long and wide and back with something. :) Keep us posted. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good