Author Topic: very ambitious project... DX  (Read 10268 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: very ambitious project... DX
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, 01:00:04 pm »
You wont learn anything on wood that cant make a bow. That happens to be one of my many pet peves. Suggesting beginners use junk wood to learn on. Thats just silly. Start with the best ingredients you have available, not the cheapest.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline jakeas

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2012, 01:04:59 pm »
well its mainly the wood working skills. i know i wont learn tillering but that can wait. mainly the carving, glueing and cutting. i have made many bows in the past, but with branches and pen knives. this is my first board build so its bound to go wrong some where.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2012, 01:11:05 pm »
My son just turned 16 years old a month ago. He started driving on his own. I decided to put junk tires on his car this winter, just so he can learn how to handle spin outs and high speed skids. If he does good this winter Im going to put good tires on for next winter.

See what Im getting at? Branches and pen knives dont count, this will be your first real bow and starting with good bow wood is the best way to start.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2012, 01:13:56 pm »
Last I heard trees grew in England  ;)  if you've made many bows then you should have wood working skills already...and you should know where pearl is coming from...tying a string at both ends of a green branch doesn't qualify as a bow in my opinion. Rouging down wood is easy even for a newbie,the hardest part is tillering and it sounds like you've never done it before,so why not use a for sure wood that has been proven,instead of one that isn't a true bow wood.

Offline jakeas

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2012, 01:22:07 pm »
look, thanks for the advice and every thing but i have done my homework and know what im doing. if it goes wrong it goes wrong. i am ordering in some white ash next week. i have all of the plans, notes, and sketches i need for a pyramid flatbow. including recurved tips knock overlays and handle layout. lets just say this build is out of boredom. till i can get the wood i need.
   i do see your point and the bows i have made in the past were quite substantial. i spent two days solid carving a piece of hazel into a d shaped self bow. and the set of skills it takes to work board bows is different as you sort of pointed out in your post.
j

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2012, 01:27:47 pm »
I want pics if it fails or not expirmenting is always fun to do even if you know it going to fail thats how the  asymertcal bow build  i did was i was expecing it to break
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2012, 01:31:10 pm »
You wont learn anything on wood that cant make a bow. That happens to be one of my many pet peves. Suggesting beginners use junk wood to learn on. Thats just silly. Start with the best ingredients you have available, not the cheapest.

Agreed.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2012, 01:33:59 pm »
These are the threads that keep me from visiting here much anymore. You ask for help. You get answers that are as right as rain and you ignore them and say you've done your homework and know what your doing. Dont ask next time and I wont waste my time answering your questions.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2012, 01:35:24 pm »
You dont want to spend 30 GBP on a bow, yet you are inclined to buy the board, buy the carbonfiber, buy the glue, and buy teak. There's something wrong in your reasoning here...
Buy a single board of oak, maple, elm or ash. No glue required, no laminating, only you and the wood working skills.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline jakeas

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2012, 01:44:21 pm »
if you take a piece of chalk and draw a master piece on the floor its going to be useless right? but still you have learnt something. why are you talking about this as if i am clueless? i asked for ways to help make this bow not what to make a bow out of. to me, that obviously means i already have the wood and the reasons to make it. the only advice i have ignored is that i should randomly abandon a bit of wood i have and start working on something else. if i can make pine work, which some have said yes to, then why not try it?

Offline jakeas

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2012, 01:47:56 pm »
and by the way i am 15. so i have lack of money transportation and resources. does this answer some questions? 

blackhawk

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2012, 02:20:02 pm »
Quote from: jakeas link=s=35521.msg467565#msg467565 date=1351094324
and by the way i am 15. so i have lack of money transportation and resources. does this answer some questions?

Nope..it answers them ALL. And were talking bows here not sidewalk chalk junior  :P

Offline jakeas

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2012, 02:33:15 pm »
wow. i give up. your all worse then the d grade students at my school. i cant do anything that involves anything different from your"professional" opinions. i dont see why you carry on. if your not going to help me make a bow then fair enough. i don't care. i know pine is bad. i know it will most probably fail and i know you guys disagree with that. so grow up your selfs and be more open minded.

Offline Rain Man

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2012, 02:52:22 pm »
Ahhhh.... 15 and stubborn.  oh well, you live and learn.  Personally, the first bow I ever made was a 6 foot long 1x2 of red oak.  I spent 5 or 6 bucks on it.  Trust us, get quality wood.  It's not expensive.

Offline jakeas

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2012, 03:03:43 pm »
right. have you read what ive put? i quote "ordering some white ash next week" is that ok? im sorry if you have troubles or something but this is enough. come on, im 15 and know that you are being kind of arrogant yourselves.  if you want me to say it again i will. 'i know pine is the worst i get the message'. to be honest its quite simple to understand. i am making use of something that other wise is rubish.