Author Topic: American Chestnut/ hickory backed bow  (Read 4287 times)

Offline swamp monkey

American Chestnut/ hickory backed bow
« on: October 23, 2012, 06:28:08 pm »
I am starting on a fun experiment with a darned scarce wood.  I was able to obtain a piece of American Chestnut wood.  If you are not familiar with this tree it was once very common in the Eastern US.  It is a prolific nut producer and the wood is highly rot resistant.  It is not terribly dense or super great under tension.  So I gave this one a hickory strip backing and a walnut band through the handle just for kicks. 

I have just gotten started.  So I am at floor tiller stage right now.  I am considering some bison horn tip overlays.  I have something special in mind for the back.   :D 

The wood works easily and is pleasant to work. 

Now I just need to reconcile my need to hunt with the my need to work on projects like this.  Oh to choose! 

Thanks for looking and be sure to enjoy this time of years folks. 

Offline Onebowonder

Re: American Chestnut/ hickory backed bow
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 07:29:37 pm »
That is INCREDIBLY AWESOME!!!  Where did you come up with a piece of American Chestnut to use this way?!?!?  Is it a recovered piece of lumber from an old log barn or one of the new genetically repaired chestnut's that I've read about?  These magnifisant tree's were long the dominant species up and down the eastern half of the North American Continent.  Here's hoping you have good success with this nearly EXTINCT species of wood you are working with...

OneBow

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 07:56:24 pm »
From what I can see it has nice grain. Hope it turns out to be a good shooter cuz its already a good looker.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 08:54:17 pm »
Onebow,  A fella out east takes old barns down, just as you suspected, and sells the wood.  He gives the proceeds to The American Chestnut Foundation so they can fund research to restore blight resistant trees.  Here in MO there is a chestnut relative known as the Ozark chinquapin.  It is similar in many ways to the chestnut with only one nut instead of three being the easiest telltale.  Maximum height differs too with American Chestnut reaching heights of 100 feet plus and Ozark chinquapins reaching 60 to 70 before the blight reached the Ozarks. 
I am on the hunt for some Ozark chinquapin wood too.  My hope is to make a bow from it as well.  There is a foundation trying to restore them too.  My hope is to raise awareness with these bows.   Both trees were historically used for furniture, fiddles, dulcimers, and rot resistant uses like shingles, coffins, and siding.  Perhaps that nostalgic sense will help efforts to restore both species to their former glory.  There is still hope to make more bows from these amazing trees.  Hopefully mine will not be the last.
If anyone wants information on either, simply PM me and I will be glad to pass along the websites.   
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 09:54:44 pm by swamp monkey »

Offline Postman

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 12:41:29 am »
Very cool thing your bud is doing. Hope to get some 99% AC trees someday soon.

Beautiful wood, beautiful bow so far, looking forward to the finished product!
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 11:24:06 pm »
I began tillering recently and ran into something unexpected.  I noticed a compression line on the belly.  I have never chrysalised a belly before.  So I examined what happened.  The wood is "wormy" which gives it charm when making instruments (Dulcimers for example) and furniture.  However, if the worm hole is vaguely side to side it weakens the wood to allow the compression fracture.  So now I will be studying on ways to fill those worm holes. 

I always tell newbies that bow making is about decision making.  Well now I get to make a decision on how to deal with this before I proceed on.  I will post a pic of the worm hole effect on Chestnut by the weekend.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 05:21:51 pm by swamp monkey »

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 11:44:53 pm »
Super glue and toothpicks?
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 10:13:39 am »
Soy, I contemplated that idea too.  Great minds think alike. ;)  I will have to sand them down a might due to the small diameter of the holes.  Believe it or not but a toothpick is beefy in comparison.  I will likely soak them in tea water to give them a chestnut-esque, brown color before it stick them in.  Stuff needs to match.

This particular hole runs from side to side precisely under the compression line.

I enjoy this kind of hunt. 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 05:20:11 pm by swamp monkey »