Author Topic: reducing wrist slap  (Read 7948 times)

Offline Jodocus

Re: reducing wrist slap
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2012, 04:04:36 pm »
Not using a protector should be a fast way to reduce wristslapping. Worked great for me  >:D  ;D
Don't shoot!

Offline AngelDeVille

• Internet Archer
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2012, 04:07:44 pm »
Not using a protector should be a fast way to reduce wristslapping. Worked great for me  >:D  ;D

I did the same thing, I don't use one anymore.
Sent via two tin cans connected by a string and a jailbroken Atari 2600

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2012, 04:50:33 pm »
I usually only get string slap from a string follow bow. It no longer happens when shooting recurve's and hybrid's. Some of my selfbows have given me a problem but usually cured by raising the brace height as stated previously.
I wear a guard during hunting season just to hold loose fitting sleeves from getting in the way.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2012, 09:46:16 pm »
No, it is the nature of the selfbow. They are braced lower than even their fg cousins... longbows. Make yourself an arm guard. It is not hard. I make mine. I set my brace height, measure from string to back of bow, at the lowest point at which good flight is achieved which is typically at 7.25 to 7.5 inches. Check my site for tuning info. Changing form as described above may help. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/selfbowcare.html
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 07:46:45 am by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2012, 06:04:16 pm »
If you rotate the bow in your hand untill the back of the handle is in the knuckle of your thumb not the web you will very rarely hit your wrist.
I don"t agree with " raise the brace ht. until it stops hitting your wrist" Also your wrist position has allot to do with it, as already said above.

Mark

Offline bushboy

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2012, 01:16:03 pm »
maybe check to make sure the string is tracking true down the center of the handle as my first couple of bows were not and made for some nasty welts!maybe you already have?just saying. regards!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bhenders

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2012, 01:35:50 pm »
Want to eliminate wrist slap entirely?

Change to a thumb grip and release - problem solved!

Offline jimmy

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2012, 02:32:42 pm »
I recently stopped using an arm guard.  I brace at 5 1/2" on average.  I guess it's the way I hold the bow, wrist slightly bent, elbow slightly bent.  It shortened my draw length by about one inch and I don't get wrist slap at all.  If anything, the string sometimes just barely grazes my wrist, so slight that I don't really notice.  Anyway, I did away with it, so it is possible.  You just have to bend a little here and there.

Offline danny f

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2012, 02:36:03 pm »
thanks everyone. :)

Offline adb

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2012, 02:48:59 pm »
You can shoot a longbow without a bracer, but you'll probably only do it once. Some string contact with the inside of your bow arm/wrist is normal. Excessive string contact is not, and is usually a result of low brace height or stretchy strings. Wrist slap is caused by excess string vibration. Plucking the string, aka a bad realease, is a common problem as well.
Shooting modern recurves or longbows that are centershot is a different story, and if done correctly, should result in little or no string slap.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2012, 05:24:47 pm »
Be careful bending your wrist too much. Bend your elbow. Writs were not made to take that kind of strain unless straight. JMO. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!