Author Topic: Finishing touches  (Read 3858 times)

Offline Keenan

Finishing touches
« on: October 21, 2012, 11:19:52 pm »
 One of the guys that came to our Central Oregon Gathering, lives about an hour from here and wanted to get together to finish up his bow that he had started last spring.  This was very nice to hear as we often help people get bows roughed out and shooting but rarely get to see them finished up. To be able to help him doll this one up was a real blessing.  His name is Gordon Childress and the two bows we have been working on are his first two bows. One for his wife and one for him.
 His bow was black locus and it has been a real challenge with some fun character bumps , but it came out awesome. We dressed her up with iron wood tips, snake skins, and a beaver tail wrap and a point his mother passed down to him from years ago. He doesn't do much on the computer but I'm trying to encourage him to log on with this posting ;)

« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 11:55:31 pm by Keenan »

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Finishing touches
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 11:43:27 pm »
Mr. Childress has what I would call one dang fine bow.  You can tell him he can hold his head high when carrrying that bow in the woods.  If that was a bow I built I wouldn't look so nonchalant in the photos, my proud grin woulda been wider than the bow!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 12:07:54 am »
Beautiful black locust bow. Looks very well made and the finishing touches make it even finer, nice bow indeed.
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 02:13:26 am »
Oh yeah!  :o That's really nice. I watched Gordon get started on that bow. He was working his tail off the whole weekend on that thing. That's nice that he had you to help him get that finished up. That is a first bow to be proud of. (or 100th bow)

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 03:20:09 am »
very cool story to go with a cool bow, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 08:17:10 am »
Man that is a beauty,very nice looking bow.All dressed up and ready to go to work. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 08:19:26 am »
Sweet..makes me wanna bust into some locust again..its been awhile.  :)

Offline Gordon

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 05:12:23 pm »
Hey Keenan, good on you for helping Gordon finish his bow. It turned out great! What poundage did he end up getting out of it?
Gordon

Offline seabass

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 05:53:35 pm »
good job Keenan and gordon.that is one nice bow guys.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 10:15:09 pm »
That is a very fine looking bow from tip to tip.All profiles of it.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 10:25:44 pm »
Fine job by an ole pro. Great color in those skins, too!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 10:33:39 pm »
Very nice! He should enjoy shooting that! Great work!!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Keenan

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 12:29:18 am »
 I look forward to him seeing this thread. He really did do a great job as he did most the work I just help encourage when he wasn't sure if he was doing it right.  I was very impressed with Gordon's diligence and attention to detail.  He was determined not to rush things even when it seemed to take forever getting that tough BL to give up some weight.

Gordon, He was shooting for 55-60 pounds at 27" but since he was accustom to glass bows I decided we better check his draw length.  Turned out it was 26 inches so that is what we dialed in on. Came in at 59 lbs. at 26"  It is a very sweet shooting bow and he was taking out while guiding this week and hoping to get in some turkeys with it.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 09:44:26 am »
If Gordon reads this I'll say I did'nt get a computer till 06.Had to learn how to use it in the library......LOL.No cell phone either.After a while it grows on ya typing on this forum even if it is the old one finger method......LOL.Typing class kind wears off ya after 45 years.It is a very informative problem solving site with some characters on it.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 10:40:04 am »
Beautiful bow!
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi