Author Topic: Made my first Drone Flute!  (Read 2200 times)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Made my first Drone Flute!
« on: October 21, 2012, 11:46:10 am »
Finished this one up yesterday afternoon.  It is a drone flute in the key of G.  They call it a drone flute because it has two bores but one bore doesn't have tuning holes and just constantly plays the fundamental (or lowest note) of the flute with the holes.  It makes for a haunting sound I think. 
    I made it from poplar and it has a stripe of Padauk down the middle.  The birds are Zebra Wood.  Thanks for looking!

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Josh

Re: Made my first Drone Flute!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 11:47:48 am »
and here's a video of me playing it.  I still haven't got the hang of it yet it takes a bunch of breath to keep it going. 

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Adam

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 04:21:53 pm »
That sounds really unique.  I like it!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 04:48:49 pm »
Oh, now that's pretty cool sounding!  I can imagine it would take twice the breath since you are, in effect, playing two instruments at the same time.

Now about one with two seperate drones, each pitched to make a chord?!?!   >:D  Mwahahaha! Then post a pic of you playing "Flight of the Bumblebee"!    ....if it don't kill ya!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Josh

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 01:05:04 am »

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 03:03:38 am »
That's pretty cool Josh.  I've been interested ever since you first started posting your flutes.  One thing I have been wondering - how did you learn to play? And do you just improvise your own songs, or do you learn them from sheet music, er what? :)

Offline Josh

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 11:33:43 am »
Thanks Cameroo.
I mostly improvise although I have learned some songs on it by reading tablature. I don't know how to read music at all. I play in the minor pentatonic scale which is just
<xxxlxxx
<xxxlxxo
<xxxlxoo
<xxxlooo
<xoxlooo
<ooxlooo

The '<' symbol is the mouth hole of the flute, x's are closed holes and o's are open holes.  Any combination of these notes makes a song.  Its real easy to learn to play I think everyone should give it a shot. There are some great videos on youtube that teach you the basics and how to imrovise with trills and grace notes.  No music background required! !
:-)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 04:00:48 pm »
Josh, cool YouTube vid!  Loved it when the dogs chimed in!

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Josh

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 04:32:03 pm »
yeah I stumbled across that video last night while researching drone flutes and it reminded me of what you suggested.  :)