Author Topic: Black Cherry in the works  (Read 6917 times)

Offline bubby

Re: Black Cherry in the works
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2012, 04:34:10 pm »
sorry about the big boom, but like ya said you thought the wood was saying,STOP ::),  time to start another, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2012, 04:41:59 pm »
Grab another stave and get to work!

Ive had that happen many times in the last year.
I still havnt found pieces from a dogwood flat bow that blew in march. I know they are in the kitchen somewhere...

Offline sleek

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2012, 04:49:54 pm »
Should have listened to the wood. Oh well I have one more cherry stave. I learned a few thing on this bow. Cherry responds well to heat hardening. It doesn't like heat bending corrections at all, to include bending in reflex. The back broke on a trapped and heat treated belly. It is tension weak, so I will trap more extreem next time and heat treat again to keep the chrysles from forming, as there were none this go around. Next bow will also be wide as the wood allows.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2012, 04:55:31 pm »
Doesn't heat treating benefit tension STRONG woods?
I know that it helps to prevent issues on the belly but also adds stress to the back.

In the TBB4 it reports blackcherry as a weak canidate for heat treating...

Offline sleek

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2012, 10:25:24 pm »
Well, I. Guess your right. My thinking was too trap the belly for protectingthe back and heat treat to protect the belly. Reckon I will just trap the belly a touch and see what happens. If it chrysels, then I will heat treat. If nnot, I will leave it alone.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2012, 11:11:01 pm »
Heat treating the belly is protecting the belly in a sense, but at the expense of the back as it now has to do more work.  If you heat treat the belly you are in essence trapping the back.  Not wise on a wood that is already weak in tension to start with.  I figure that when you trapped the belly you may have evened it back out some, but you were back to where you started, just with less wood.  As Black Hawk said earlier "long wide and rawhide" for Black Cherry.  I gotta Love/Hate thing going with the stuff.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2012, 05:01:23 am »
Sorry to hear that. If u were in the UK I could send you some proper cherry. Ours you can almost bend it round on its self.