Author Topic: Black Cherry in the works  (Read 6918 times)

Offline bubby

Re: Black Cherry in the works
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 03:31:07 pm »
i built one with a hickory backer, but i did trap it some, that bow held up, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline sleek

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 03:36:41 pm »
Which side was trapped, the belly or back?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bubby

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2012, 04:13:09 pm »
i trapped the back as cherry, likes to crysall, unless the tiller is perfect, mine were pyramids as well, but i think 61" is too short, i'd go at least 66" and 1 3/4" at the fades minimum with a stiff handle bow, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline okie64

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2012, 09:30:23 pm »
I tried backing a piece of black cherry with hickory and it fretted all over the place, not saying it cant be done, It just didnt turn out very good for me.

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2012, 10:51:14 pm »
Is sinew an option?

Ive alway thought that would be an awesome combo.

blackhawk

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2012, 11:24:20 pm »
Long,wide,n rawhide....anything else like prepping n gluing a wood backer,or sinewing is a waste of time in my opinion...use wood backing and sinew backing for better pieces of wood that match better and give you better results.

Offline sleek

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2012, 04:54:32 am »
Ok, so assuming I just go with a silk backing, one layer or two? And what would your draw weight/ length be for this bow/ I would really like a 40# to be legal for hunting... Oh, and I am going with rounding the belly in for final tiller and weight reduction...
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 05:00:23 am by sleek »

Offline Josh B

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2012, 10:01:30 am »
One layer of silk will suffice and rounding the belly will only concentrate the compression forces to a smaller amount of the belly wood.  The result being an increased chance of chrysals and ultimately failure.  Keep the belly flat. Josh

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2012, 10:36:08 am »
  Thats short and narrow for a pyramid wild cherry. You'll differnly end up with string follow.
  10 bows in 30 days. Do you build bow for a liveing because thats a BIG order. You must be SLEEPING BESIDE YOUR BAND SAW AND HAVE A BELT SANDER UNDER YOUR HEAD. Not my idea of building selfbows.
         GOOD LUCK
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline sleek

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2012, 05:41:42 pm »
I sleep 5 hours a day, and work 8, then the rest the time I am making bows. I just broke my bandsaw blade so things are slow right now as i am down to using my knife. Lucky I am really good with it. Thanks, I will need the luck to get this done. I dont do it for a living, but i sure makes living easier. I do want to do it professionally one day, maybe soon...

I will use one layer of silk, and I will not round the belly much then. This bow is almost complete. We will see tomorrow how she holds up with one layer of silk backing.

Offline sulphur

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2012, 11:33:14 pm »
Sleek i have made quite a few cherry bows and here is what i know about it.  Cherry will chrysal at the drop of a hat.  go slow while tillering.  if you rush it youll regret it.  Next, silk should be plenty adequate in one layer.  If you can keep the back together that will be one smoking fast bow.  the dimensions are really pushing the edge but if it blows up make sure its on the tiller tree and not in your hand.  if it breaks start again.  Dont quit because everyone says it cant be done.  that being said, i would not go any heavier than 45# with that length and width.  one of my absolute favorite bows is a cherry backed with white ash.  its 66" long ntn and 1.5" wide but i always felt it was over built.  Good luck

Offline sleek

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2012, 03:38:38 pm »
I really like the workmanship on that one! On mine, I silk backed it last night, and this morning she pulls 35@25. I believe the tiller to be spot on. I want to pull it back to 40 lbs, its just that as I pull it back, I get that feeling from the wood that it doesnt wanna be pulled any farther. You know the feelings, the bow starts telling your arms to stop pulling and it feels like it is really resisting going any further. The feeling that makes you wince as you pull it just a fraction further?

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2012, 04:28:34 pm »
Sleek, have you had to align the limbs at all?

I'm gonna get to some black cherry staves in a few weeks, but I know they need some manipulation.
I was just wondering how it responded to bending.

Offline sleek

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2012, 04:30:20 pm »
OUCH! It broke, more like, blew the heck up. It hit me in the chest hard enough to bruise me. I had it back at 25.5 inches and BOOM, like a 22 pistol going off, it let loose in a strange manner. Went out in 4 pieces. One break in the back, one large and one small piece on the belly came off, and of course, the tip let go. It broke mid limb, and the belly split all the way to the handle. No chrysels, no set, just carnage. I'm still smarting from that and it was about 10 minutes ago...I need bow making armor. The lower limb broke, I have tiller pics on my cell of the second before it went. Lower limb was a touch weaker than the upper. That I believe was the problem. Cherry, touchy stuff.

Offline sleek

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2012, 04:31:06 pm »
We cross posted. It responds to bending violently.