Author Topic: Stir Crazy Bow  (Read 7377 times)

Offline Parnell

Re: Stir Crazy Bow
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 11:03:10 am »
Nice little bow.  Like those simple sticks.
1’—>1’

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2011, 01:00:54 pm »
Really like this one.  I love those knotty pieces of osage, bend looks great in it too.  Bookmarked for February Self BOM contest too.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2011, 01:20:02 pm »
George, that looks great. That's the thing about character bows. You have to keep an open mind about which limb is the top one.  Well done! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2011, 01:24:29 pm »
missed this one. d-tillered bows are my favorite. thats a nice simple stick and being osage, probably spits out an arrow.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2011, 02:14:59 pm »
Thanks guys.  I haven't taken much time to work on it lately and should as it's really close to being finished.  I'm fighting the urge to scrape a little more and try for a couple more inches of draw.  At 52" and bending through the handle it probably can handle it, but there are some knots right on the limb edge that make it a little risky.   It has a little set and I honestly like it as it takes a couple inches of stress off the limbs.  I haven't put tip overlays on it and might not.   There is an elegance to the simplicity that I like.  I haven't shot very many arrows through it, don't enjoy the short draw length.   I might trade this one away...haven't decided.  Sure was fun to build, I want to do it again and will watch for another short split lending itself to that design.

I just love this forum.  I would never have built a short bow like this without seeing Rich's beautiful short bows.  So many styles left to try.  Going to do an ELB in the near future...have not tried one of those yet.   These days every piece of osage I split has a new bow style jump out.  Way fun times.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2011, 02:45:09 am »
I've taken my last scrape on this bow.  This piece of osage just wanted to be a bow even though it is full of flaws.  Here is a large sliver that tore out below a knot, which is right on the bow edge sliced in half.

The narrow limb tip had the back badly violated.

Both of those spots are filled with sawdust/super glue.  Then there's a knot that cracked.

Weird, all of those flaws are right in the center of the working part of the limbs.  It should've broken but it just won't quit.  One limb had natural deflex, the other took set to match.

Dang, this was some kind of bow wood.  Have to come up with a fitting handle wrap.

George
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 07:06:35 am by gstoneberg »
St Paul, TX

Offline Parnell

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2011, 12:32:42 pm »
I've made several kinda like this one, not osage.  I know what you mean about the handle wrap.  I just prefer to leave mine plane jane at this point.  Looking forward to seeing what you come up with on that.  Maybe a wrapped leather grip like what Timo does with a floppy rest?  Again, really cool little bow.
1’—>1’

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2011, 12:36:04 pm »
I just saw this post.  Looks great, nice little bow there.

Tell
Tell Riley

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2012, 04:25:35 pm »
Here the bow now,I swapped George for it. A few scrapes,a little sanding,hemp handle wrap,and some tru oil. Named him Hank,and he shoots a 575 grain arrow sweet!
laugh. its good for ya

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2012, 05:38:36 pm »
Nice looking bows.
Rob