Author Topic: Yew Bow  (Read 5863 times)

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
Yew Bow
« on: October 20, 2012, 03:36:27 pm »
So, a while back in the summer i went to visit some friends in their cabin on the edge of the cascades. The whole family is really into primitive skills/hunting. I've known one of their sons since i was like 5 (now he's 15.) He mostly makes laminated bows.

I was planning on seeing what kind of wood grew around there, and i saw a bunch of cedar so i planned on getting that. When we got to the cabin we started talking about yew, and he said they had seen some on a hike. So we went up there and sure enough there was a small grove.

Later when we got back I taught him a bit about making quick primitive bows, and since this was my first time with yew it was a learning experience for me, too.

When we had the bows floored tillered i showed him how to quick-dry the wood over a fire. The next day we tillered the bows and started shooting them.

I made mine quite short and pretty heavy, (probably 70#) and his was about 50# and longer. He didn't like the way his shot at all, so i made some modifications on the handle and tips to get some speed and accuracy. Later it shot real good, but unfortunately all my cheap carbon target arrows i had bought earlier broke when we went stumping.  :-\ But it was really fun anyway, and he wants to make more primitive bows now. He lives in Alaska, so i told him he could try using all the birch up there.

Enough of the story. I got a haul while we were up there and brought it back, and i got this really nice piece which was originally in reflex. Somehow it dried in deflex though...  :o Overall i love yew and it is really fun and quite easy to make a bow out of.

about 80#@24" (i'm going to start training for higher weights, i still have a few inches to go with this.)
it's probably around 55" ntn
Still needs to be sealed and i plan on wrapping the handle with some leather a generous person gave to me  ;D
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline Jodocus

Re: Yew Bow
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 03:56:22 pm »
seriously cool bow.  8)
Don't shoot!

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 03:58:32 pm »
Wow! nice bow! i really think you turn a nice bow!  ;D
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 04:49:59 pm »
How are you measuring the weight of your bows?
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Tortoise

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 05:10:54 pm »
What kind of string is that?
-Peter
Arizona

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 05:46:20 pm »
Nice primitive bow :) just how we like 'em.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 05:51:51 pm »
I think you've got a damn good design right there.  Develop her arrows!
1’—>1’

Offline Zion

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 06:05:21 pm »
Thanks everyone. Bryce, I do the whole bathroom scale thing. The reason i didn't post exactly the weight was because I've done some sanding and stuff since i initially weighed it, and it was around 80.

Tortoise, the string on it in the pics is just the string i used to tiller it. I'm gonna made a real string for it though.

Parnell, I think the design's pretty standard. I haven't had luck with arrows, i'm not as good with delicate stuff, but we will see  ;D

I'm glad i have more yew!

Offline Tortoise

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 06:39:43 pm »
what's the material? Mine needs a string, went through a bunch of dacron for 3 unsuccesful flemishes  :P
-Peter
Arizona

Offline Zion

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 08:26:35 pm »
I'm not exactly sure what the material is  :-\ It should be at most hardware stores, its the cordage stuff that usually comes in bundle lol

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 08:44:59 pm »
Nice job, Zion! Looks like you guys had some fun!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Zion

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 09:47:06 pm »
Thanks lesken. I'm actually gonna try to get these guys on PA and post their stuff if they can find time, (it's swimming season over in Alaska  :o)

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 09:52:38 pm »
Great job bow looks great.
Rob

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 03:11:21 pm »
That's beautiful.
Frank from Germany...

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 09:19:00 pm »
I like it Zion, another nice bow from you! Really like the way that bow bends in your full draw pic and the neat primitive looking style of the bow speaks to me. Good work young man. :)
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.