Author Topic: reducing wrist slap  (Read 7954 times)

Offline danny f

reducing wrist slap
« on: October 19, 2012, 06:34:49 pm »
hi there ive just started shooting my first bow and was wondering if there are any ways of reducing wrist slap i havent got a wrist protector yet and my wrist has taken a real beating. do all bows do this or is there something wrong, is there anything i can do like bracing the bow slightly higher. any advice appreciated thanks.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: reducing wrist slap
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 06:40:52 pm »
Higher brace will certainly help. 

Also, check the angle of your wrist on your bow hand.  Stick an old arrow shaft or wooden ruler under your wristwatch band and make sure that the back of your hand is in line with the rest of the arm.  I tend to turn my wrist out and get slapped for doing it. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 07:45:57 pm »
JW got it.   Raise the brace height of your string,
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 07:54:01 pm »
I 3rd that. Slowly raise the brace height, till it stops slapping yah :)

Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 08:36:07 pm »
before you raise the brace, how high is it now, it could just as well be form if it's allready around 6"
you can also slip a pc of thin cardboard in your sleeve and put some rubber bands on toi hold it till ya get a bracer, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 08:45:06 pm »
Cardboard cut to the size of your forearm and rap it with paracord for a quick makeshift arm guard. I used that for a little bit untill I made another better one out of an old tire inner tube. (Works really well).

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 09:27:02 pm »
String that isn't a bungee cord...try FF.

Offline macbow

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 11:46:52 pm »
Another easy arm guard is cut the toes off a,tube,sock and slip it on your arm. You can add cardboard or leather inside.

A low brace height will almost guarantee hitting the wrist with,a long bow .recurves are usually braced higher and you'll have less trouble.
Ron Mackenberg   Warsaw, MO.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 11:49:31 pm »
   Danny,
                Wrist slap can break a vein and cause a visit to a surgeon. Protect yourself until you get it all figured out. I had a problem with it and found it was form. Even after years of shooting I still get a little twing every now and then, usually when I'm getting tired, but I do shoot a low brace at 5 3/4".
                                           Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Gordon

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 12:38:34 am »
I used to have a terrible problem with wrist slap. Then I switched to FF strings and the problem went away.
Gordon

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 09:59:14 am »
   For most people it's just stwitch over from a compound and their still trying to lock their elbow. CURVE YOU WRIST ANS SET YOU ELBOW OUT SOME. Other than this you can GO to FAST FLIGHT THAT HELPS SOME WHAT.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline danny f

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 11:05:09 am »
cheers for all the advice, i have raised the brace to 6" as it was only just over 5" and have made a makeshift leather protector for now. i will have a play about with different shooting styles. thanks danny.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 12:43:24 pm »
If it isn't brace height and is form try not to lock your bow holding arm at the elbow, also loosen your grip on the bow a little ;)

Offline danny f

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2012, 03:35:19 pm »
done a load more shooting today and ive hardly had any wrist slap. i got one good un though half way up my forearm where it wasnt protected that one made a nice lump. :(

Offline Traxx

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2012, 03:39:01 pm »
Regardless of the Cause,Get some sort of protection on.Enough slapps and youll start bad habits,like flinching on the shot.