Author Topic: kids bow help  (Read 1487 times)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
kids bow help
« on: October 20, 2012, 05:17:18 pm »
I have made several kids bows, but have run in to a potential problem on this one and have a question. I have a taxidermy shop about a mile from my house. He was nice enough to save me some turkey feathers and I wanted to do something for him. I stopped by the other day and showed him my last 2 bows since he had never seen one and he said his 10 year old son would probably enjoy one so I told him I would make him one and a few arrows. I had a scrap piece of ipe an inch wide and a piece of left over white oak also an inch wide, so I decided to make a white oak backed ipe bow for him. I decided to make it 60" since he is about 5' tall and felt I would have room for a draw up to 28" if necessary since it would bend in the handle. The glue up and cut out went perfect. Then after floor tillering I decided to round up the edges before I put it on the tiller tree. This is where I made my mistake. I decided to take some of the saw marks out too and got a little too froggy on one side and gouged it about an eighth of an inch. I got it evened up and unless you are looking for it, you don't notice. I also tillered around it so the tiller is good and it shoots good. Here is my question. The bow has more mass on one end than the other which is obvious when you put in on the tree. And after shooting about 50 times, one end has about 1/2 inch more set than the other end. Here is a pic showing what I mean, but not to scale.

The red mark shows where I took a little too much off. The bow is drying right now from the first coat of shellac. After it dries, I will post a pic. Any feedback on this? Do you think the bow is safe to give him. It is about 35# @ 25" and I have drawn it to 27 in with no problems.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 10:12:11 am by lesken2011 »
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline half eye

Re: kids bow help
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 05:43:49 pm »
Kenny, dont believe you'll have any trouble with this one. For 2 reasons....ya have drawn it to 27" allready without a problem and second in a couple years he's either gonna need a heavier bow or he will have had an "accident" with this one, or there's allways the "girl" thing too 8) anyways it will probably hold him for a couple of years......just one old guy's opinion though.
rich

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 06:32:36 pm »
Thanks, Rich. I just took a little width off the other limb to even them up. Now it is 35#@27". If it is too light for him, I will pike it, I guess. I think it will be OK, though.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 08:06:23 pm »
If it's his first bow, 35# is gonna be plenty.....he's got to learn form as well as build strength.
rich

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 01:39:31 am »
i agree with half eye, its just fine, he will love it!
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)