Author Topic: elm backed osage?  (Read 1974 times)

Offline k-hat

elm backed osage?
« on: October 19, 2012, 09:53:28 am »
What are your thoughts?  I've got some osage slats, and a hick board and some elm staves that i could rip for backings.  Thought elm might be kind of neat.

Offline JonW

Re: elm backed osage?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 10:48:27 am »
Go for it. I personally like the look of Osage with sapwood. Elm would be neat.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 02:22:35 pm »
has anyone tried cutting and straightning the outer sapwood and glueing it on, as opposed to quartersawing it?  thought that might look neat if it was doable.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 02:47:02 pm »
I've got some osage boards if you want to try something like that.  I actually have an osage blank spliced up in preparation for a bamboo backer.  I need to make a friend with a jointer as I didn't get the 2 pieces flat to the table on the glue-up so it needs flattened.  I also have an ipe blank glued up as well and ready for bamboo.  Also have the bamboo, just haven't prepped and done the glue-up.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 02:57:55 pm »
George,

You have a eletric hand planer? If so turn upside down put it in a vice you now have a small jointer. Just a thought.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 03:24:39 pm »
Nope, but I've been thinking about getting one.  This might be the perfect time. ;)  Thanks.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 05:45:50 pm »
The downside is that you're probably sacrificing a really nice Elm stave... Osage backed with Elm is a very good combo though. I've taken backings from staves that had grown over knots. I don't use wood with knots so I just worked the stave down until the knots were gone and ended up with a backing strip.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 01:21:25 am »
Appreciate the offer George, but i do have some I wanna try out, Trimmed them to 9/8" by 2" back in June from a slab cut back in april.  They seem to have stabilized and i'm 90% sure they are dry now. 

Pat, I hear ya on that one.  I've got some quarters that are pretty large but not big enough for 2 staves, so if anything i may try to slice an edge off one of those.

Thanks for the input yall :D