Author Topic: "Grandpa John" my Black Locust Bow  (Read 9710 times)

Offline LimbLover

Re: "Grandpa John" my Black Locust Bow
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 05:13:33 pm »
Well sir, while I think the tiller could use a bit of touch up, I have to say, wood working skills were not lost on you. Everybody learns to tiller, but honestly, fine craftsmanship is something that just doesnt land on everybody. You have some nice skills, good job!

Thanks! What should I clean up?

My tillering tree is horrid and playing tricks with my eyes. Should I pull some off the bottom limb from fade to middle third? Looks kind of stiff there. I'm real paranoid about it. I've been checking for set a lot after shooting. Left it strung for several hours a few times and checked it then too. Constructive criticism won't make me cry in my coffee. I want this bow to last.

Offline sleek

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 05:50:19 pm »
Maybe its my eyes, or the porch railing making me see this, but the lower limb does look a touch stiff in the inner third. By no means does that mean the bow wont last. I would say leave it and shoot it untill you have made more and then you can figure out how to ( if you wanna ) change it. But as is, she should be fine. It is really whip tillered, meaning the tips do most the bending. There is nothing wrong with that, some folks like em that way, but most would try to get the bow to bend around the entire limb.

The bottom limb seems to bend more at the tip than the upper limb does, but that is just a symmetry thing. If too much it could be structural but, again, i think you are safe.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline LimbLover

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2012, 06:08:18 pm »
Thanks!

I'll keep an eye on it then. I appreciate it.

Offline LimbLover

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2012, 10:10:23 pm »
Removed the pad and relaced the grip with leather. I like this better.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 09:24:04 pm by LimbLover »

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2012, 11:57:24 pm »
I like that handle better too.

Offline LimbLover

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2012, 09:23:21 pm »
Slew of new photos with the new grip.