Author Topic: Shipping bows?  (Read 2354 times)

Offline mspink

Shipping bows?
« on: November 30, 2012, 04:24:33 pm »
Hey guys was wondering the best and cheapest way you guys mail bows? I'm mailing from Washington to Maine. What's the best packaging to use? Need help ha. Thanks.
Aim small miss small!

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Re: Shipping bows?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 05:57:27 pm »
Best and cheapest do not go hand in hand.  Cheapest usually equals a damaged bow for the recipient, so don't cheap out on packaging.  I would agree that PVC pipe is the way to go (assuming it's not a recurve).  Not sure about down in the states, but I don't trust the postal workers or couriers one bit up here in Canada.  Fedex is actually cheaper than the postal service up here.  You can check the cost and delivery times online for couriers such as Fedex, Purolator, etc.

On a side note - if you ever have to send something to Canada, your recipient will be very appreciative is you choose anything other than UPS.  Their brokerage fees are insane.

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 06:52:10 pm »
I've had  very bad experiences shipping bows within my own country. I mailed a finished bow once in a heavy cardboard tube from a carpet roll. I could stand on the tube. Good to go! Right? Wrong!
Canada Post was moving  packages in a warehouse on a forklift. The forklift fit through a door, my bow in the cardboard tube did not. Broke it in two. They wanted to now 'if i could be fixed?'

Like Cam said, if you absolutely have to ship a bow, go with a courier like fedex or purolator. It's worth it.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 07:37:03 pm »
I've shipped quite a few bows in PVC tubes using USPS.  Never had a problem.  Just make sure to pack it in there so it doesn't move around.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 08:00:20 pm »
USPS priority mail in a pvc pipe, with priority a lot less people get their mitts on them, no insurance needed and useually show up in 3 days, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 08:02:46 pm »
Yeah, don't insure it.  Unless you have a receipt from when you bought it new, they won't reimburse you anything if it is lost or damaged.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 08:58:21 pm »
I sent a bow to a guy in the USA via Canada Post and USPS in a PVC pipe. When the bow arrived, one tip had been punched through the botto plastic end cap. Don't ask me how. Unbelievable. That was the last straw for me.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 09:16:25 pm »
I use heavy 2" cardboard tube most often. I have shipped maybe 20-25 bows and none have been damaged.......yet....we use 30"  tall rolls of blueprint paper at work and I take all the 32" tubes when they are empty. I prefer USPS over UPS for price and safety.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 12:04:40 am »
For straight bows I use a 3", thin wall PVC pipe with end caps and mail it USPS, Priority Mail with delivery confirmation. I've never had a bow lost or damaged. I know it happens but this is the best way to go. The delivery confirmation allows for tracking the package if needed. DO NOT INSURE!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 09:44:00 am »
I have only mailed a couple, and have used both cardboard and pvc. I do wrap the bow with pipe insulation, though, and leave a couple of inches of overhang on the ends to protect the tips. I put tape around it at various points to keep it from sliding inside the insulation. If it is too small for the package, I tape it to one side to keep it from moving around.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 10:37:13 am »
This is what I do.

Wrap the bow in news paper and shrink wrap. 

cut a refrigerator box flat.  Free from the applience store.  Mark off a section 3-4" wide X the length of the bow pluss 4". Reproduce this three times.  The last one is a cutting line the others are folding lines.  You should get a triangle.  I use a borad to clamp the cardboard and force it to fold on the line.

Tape it up into a tube and slid ethe bow inside.  pack the ends with newspaper balls.  Tape them closed.

Go tot he post office and say "least expensive method possible pluss delivery confirmation. 

Average price will be around $16.00  For main probably higher.