Author Topic: Wanted-Seasoned Poles/Saplings  (Read 1449 times)

Offline Dictionary

Wanted-Seasoned Poles/Saplings
« on: October 23, 2012, 03:58:03 pm »
I have a design in mind but have no seasoned wood and am wanting to see if anyone is selling any seasoned saplings-oak,hickory,ash,elm,etc at least 66 inches in length with about a 2 inch diameter or less(a specific design in mind).

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 09:27:14 pm by Dictionary »
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Dictionary

Re: Wanted-Seasoned Poles/Saplings
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 08:36:49 pm »
Hmm...no one?  ???
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 10:15:27 pm »
Just a guess here bud , but most guys makingbows from saplings just go and cut one. Rough tiller and debark (or not) and set it in the corner  for a couple of weeks, while you are working on other bows.Don't know if that helps you any but you could wait a long time for a response.Try posting it as a question on the bows forum.

Offline cracker

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 10:56:59 pm »
I could maybe hook you up with some fresh cut sapplings at this time of year the sap is down and they will be a bear to debark. So let me know if you are interested. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 11:24:34 pm »
Problem is. My only transportation is a motorbike. I dont own a truck or anything to go cut and bring back wood. The only way ive actually cut any and brought it home was by stuffing it in my dad's saab. And im sure he doesnt want me to do that again haha.

Ive got 2 saplings of some wood i cant identify sitting in a corner half/roughed out but i figure they wont dry for another 3+months.

Ron im hoping for something already seasoned.........I will let you know if i change my mind though.  ;)

-JW_Halverson

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 10:23:32 am »
You would be surprised at how quickly a roughed out bow will dry. It should only take a couple of weeks (depending on local conditions)

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 12:04:12 pm »
You would be surprised at how quickly a roughed out bow will dry. It should only take a couple of weeks (depending on local conditions)

True. I have done it a bunch of times. It's better to wait a couple months though to get every tiny bit of moisture out of it, you will get less set. But I have made many "2 week" bows,  ;D. Heat treating probably don't hurt either.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 12:14:04 pm »
Depending on local conditions. That is true. My previous experience: Rough wood down to near dimensions so  the limb is bending enough to probably string it. Leave it alone for a month. Then come back and tiller. Set is typically 3inches or more. This could be because of Georgia's humidity in the summer. I cant be sure. I agree with toomanyknots though. Its best to be safe and give them extra time to dry.

-JW_Halverson