Author Topic: New Bamboo Bass Flute Key of D (new flutes added pg 2)  (Read 7263 times)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: New Bamboo Bass Flute Key of D
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2012, 11:42:15 am »
Thanks!  :)

Tuning is easy if you just take it slow! I bought a small hand held chromatic tuner that works great and I start by getting the fundamental note about 10 cents sharp first. (it will flatten out some as you tune your holes so it is easier to start out a little sharp)  Then I draw out where I want my holes to go and using a small drill bit drill out just the bottom hole first.  I gradually increase this hole's size until I get it in tune.  Then I drill out the next hole.  after you get the second hole in tune go back and check the hole below it because drilling a hole above will flatten the hole below it slightly.  bring it back up to perfect pitch.  Continue this procedure for all six holes and there ya go.  I usually spread my tuning on each flute out over a couple of days instead of trying to get the tuning in one sitting which greatly affects how close you can get it to perfectly in tune.  Hope this helps Keenan!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline SA

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2012, 10:46:08 pm »
those are sweet! i like the sound of the bamboo alot . i have a couple of bamboo flutes but they don't have any where near that rich sound, great job.
Shawn Acker

Offline Ben M

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2012, 11:20:14 am »
I just have to echo what you've already heard:
Excellent work, and thank you for sharing! The heartwood cedar flute is gorgeous. I've never seen such a beautiful flute!

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2012, 11:40:44 am »
PP, I agree. That cedar is one awesome looking work of art. 
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Josh

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2012, 12:49:00 pm »
Thanks a lot guys!  here are a few more pics if you want to see more of my work.

This one is made from Poplar the bird is Cedar and Poplar.  I like how this one has a black streak in the wood close to the mouth piece. 

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Josh

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2012, 12:50:33 pm »
This one is made from Spanish Cedar.  the top of the flute is a mixture of heart and sapwood although it is hard to tell in these pics.   The bird is Zebra Wood.

Offline Josh

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2012, 12:51:30 pm »
This one is made from Eastern Red Cedar.  The bird is Zebra Wood.

Offline Alpinbogen

Re: New Bamboo Bass Flute Key of D (new flutes added pg 2)
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2012, 10:06:18 am »
Those flutes and your playing are fantastic!  Thanks for posting this.   ;D