Author Topic: chrysalys through clear coat?  (Read 4139 times)

Offline autologus

Re: chrysalys through clear coat?
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2012, 12:30:52 pm »
I feel your pain, my bow for the Red Oak board bow trade did that last night.  It was a bendy handle 54" ntn and pulling 43# @28" and was shooting good then I noticed that one or two arrows bounced off the target at 15 yards and when I inspected the belly it had fretted like mad.  Frets and chrysals all along the middle half of the bow.  It made me sick because it was looking very nice and shooting very good.

Guess I am just not going to be able to make a short bow from Red Oak.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2012, 04:00:06 pm »
Grady, that's an example of chrysals happening because the design is not good. Chrysals are spread out over the entire limb. Pulling a 54" bow 28" is a recipe for having the bow snap in half. Your lucky it only chrysalled. For a bend in the handle bow drawn 28" my minimum would be 64" nth. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline autologus

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2012, 04:08:44 pm »
I know it should not have been that short but I was experimenting and trying to see how far I could push it.  That is why I was shooting it a lot to make sure it was going to do what ever it was going to do with me instead of someone else.  My next one will be that long.  I guess being new to bow making I was trying to feel out the level of ability I potentially have.  At this point I am being quite humbled by the wood and am leaning toward being much more conservative.  I appreciate your input and valuable experience, It is bowyers like yourself on this board that has fueled my desire to learn and become a better crafter.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.