Author Topic: Cold weather paddlers?  (Read 1931 times)

Offline Alpinbogen

Cold weather paddlers?
« on: October 17, 2012, 12:59:53 am »
How many cold weather paddlers are out there?  I'm trying to get as much time on the water as I can, in and around bowhunting right now.  Water temps are getting chilly.  I finally bought a drysuit this year, so I can confidently extend my paddling season and continue to roll.  Here's a clip of some sea kayak roll practice from last weekend.

http://youtu.be/ejiiluB_Oz4
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 11:21:52 am by Alpinbogen »

Offline hedgeapple

Re: Cold weather paddlers?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 01:57:25 am »
I haven't done much kayaking in the last couple of years.  Shoulder and back issues grrr.  But, I used to paddle class III/IV water with ice hanging from the cliffs.  Nice, smooth, effortless rolls in your video.  I paddled a Dagger Ovation canoe for a couple years, also.  I could roll it in pool but was only 50/50 in whitewater class III or above.

I've been missing padddling.  Hopefully, my new shoulder injury will heal so I can get in the boat again this spring.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline stickbender

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 04:20:01 am »

I don't do cold water!  :P  It can cause major shrinkage issues! :o ::) ::)
     And it just isn't good to be cold, and winkled and shriveled and shrunken!
     Not good for the body, the mind, nor the ego! ;)  I personally try to avoid cold
     water at all costs, except for drinking on a hot day.  You do those rolls quite well.
     My Brother, and Sister n Law, both have kayaks, and love them.  I am still a canoe person.  I guess it is like the Glock issue, you either like them or you don't.  Usually not much in the gray area.  I just like the cargo space in a canoe, vs. the kayak, plus the fact that I am sitting a bit higher than eye level to a gator! ;)  Cool video, thanks.  I might convert to a kayak one of these days, there are a lot of creeks out here, I want to explore with my fishing rod, and pistol, or .45-70 carbine.  A kayak would be ideal for that, in that it would be more compact, for easier transport, and more maneuverable.
                                               Wayne

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 01:43:51 pm »
I can't comment on cold water paddling, but I just wanted to let you know that the pictures and videos that you posted (last summer?) of the kayak you made have inspired me to try kayaking this summer, and man did I love it!  My plan now is to construct one that is custom made for me, using the techniques described in "Building The Greenland Kayak".  Wish me luck :)

How is that kayak that you made holding up?  If I remember right, you were going to make another one that would be better suited for rolling.  Did you ever get that one done? 

BTW, I was referring back to some of your posts a few months ago and noticed that the pictures are gone.  It was a major let-down :)

Offline coaster500

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 07:03:03 pm »
I use a Scupper Pro sit on top...  that way I just fall off and climb back on. Our water is so cold here that 10/15 minutes will kill you....

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 11:55:08 am »
Hedgeapple, I hope your shoulder heals up so you can get back into it.  I've never done whitewater paddling; only flat freshwater and some mixed bay and ocean kayaking, which can be a little "livelier".

Stickbender, Gators?  As in those big toothy things that bite and drag you to the bottom until you stop moving?  I'll stay out of those waters.  Haha!   :o

Cameroo, Hey man, Good you hear you like paddling, and even better to hear that you're going to build one!  Sorry about the pictures.  I clean house once in a while on photobucket.  It's getting cluttered, so it's probably time to do it again soon, actually. 

I did build that other kayak to much more "form fitting" dimensions, and it is much more responsive to paddle and roll.  A snug cockpit is critical for some of the harder rolls, especially when you start getting into norsaq and hand rolls, which I've began to work on.  Though I built my first kayak to Cunningham's more slender recommendations, it is still too wide and the masik too high to have good lower body engagement.  (Even if it is way more snug than most kayaks.)  Getting into my second kayak is like wiggling into a pair of skinny jeans.  If I build another Greenland kayak, it will be narrower yet...width of squished hips, period.  I actually got to meet Chris Cunningham at the Delmarva Paddlers Retreat the other weekend, where he was a guest speaker on arctic kayaks.  He ended up sitting by me at lunch and gave me advise on how to move the foot brace on my already skinned kayak.  He's very personable and really enjoys sharing his knowledge.

Coaster, That's a good sized halibut!  My wife has paddled and actually prefers sit on tops.  She doesn't care about performance, and doesn't relish the idea of learning to roll or wet exiting from a snug cockpit if she flips over.  So, she's a little timid in sea kayaks.  I think an OC Venus might be in her future.