Author Topic: New Bamboo Bass Flute Key of D (new flutes added pg 2)  (Read 7265 times)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
New Bamboo Bass Flute Key of D (new flutes added pg 2)
« on: October 16, 2012, 12:52:52 am »
I just finished this one up tonight after I got off work. It is my first successful bamboo flute to date.  It is the largest and deepest flute I have made yet also. Most of the flutes I make are in the mid range in the keys of G and F#. I route the flutes on my router and jig I built and the biggest bit my router will take is 3/4" which limits how deep sounding you can make your flutes. (the larger or longer the bore size the deeper the flute becomes) So instead of buying a new router, making a new jig, and cutting out some new blanks I figured i would try my hand at making it from bamboo.

I split the bamboo in half lengthwise to remove the node from between holes 2 and 3 and then glued it back together with titebond.   I bound it tightly in leather in three separate places besides where the bird sits to hopefully help keep it from splitting.  The bamboo has been seasoning for about 2 years now so hopefully it will hold up.  Well what do ya think?   Thanks for looking!!!  :)

« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 02:36:02 pm by Josh »
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Josh

Re: New Bamboo Bass Flute Key of D
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 12:56:16 am »
Oh and here is a video in case anyone wants to hear what it sounds like.  Thanks again!

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 07:34:52 am »
That is sweet Josh,nice work and sounds very nice also. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DQ

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 09:44:19 am »
Amazing!  Thanks for showing.

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 10:20:55 am »
Josh:  Fantastic sound!  My favorite flute is a rivercane!  Thanks for sharing!  A/Ho Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline coaster500

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 05:36:42 pm »
That sounds great!!

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 11:32:02 pm »
I've got a friend who would absolutely love something like that. He sells and trades staves for a living. Would you be interested in making another for trade? I'd love to send one to him as a favor.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Josh

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 12:00:01 am »
Thanks guys!

Fred this is the first one from bamboo so not really wanting to trade one yet until I am sure the bamboo isn't going to split.  I usually make them from cedar and poplar if you'd be interested in one of my cedar or poplar ones I would be happy to trade ya one...  whatcha got for trade? I can post pics of those if you like.   :)

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 12:07:02 am »
Josh, I'd love to see pics. My friend writes and publishes his own music. He said that he loves all primitive musical instruments. I just sent him a bamboo flute and he loves it. The bass would be a great addition.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Josh

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 11:44:39 am »
My tools only allow me to make mid-range F sharp, G, and A flutes at the moment.  Here are some pics of my work for you to see.

Offline Josh

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 11:46:42 am »
some more...

Offline Josh

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 12:15:50 pm »
oh and fred here is a song I wrote on one of my G flutes.

http://soundcloud.com/deftones3333/lake-storm

Hope ya like it.   :)

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 12:48:37 pm »
Beautiful work. I sent you a PM. Any one of what you have pictured would be fantastic.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 07:35:49 am »
Very beautiful work Josh!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Keenan

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2012, 08:03:52 am »
 Beautiful work Josh. I have made two flutes but I'm not real good at tunning yet. Lulyn got me an incredible "G" flute last month for my birthday and I love it. They are certainly soothing to play