Author Topic: chrysalys through clear coat?  (Read 4134 times)

Offline BOWMAN53

chrysalys through clear coat?
« on: October 15, 2012, 02:55:27 am »
I don't remember feeling any chrysalys when I sanded it down but after staining and three coats of clear I can feel "little spikes". Any clue what happened?

Offline lostarrow

Re: chrysalys through clear coat?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 03:45:14 am »
The crysals may have developed after ,or they may have been small andkind of stretched back into shape enough that you wouldn't notice. The clear coat isn't flexible ,so when the bow was flexed it "crumpled" at the site of stress. When the bow straightened the "crumpled area was no longer adhering to the wood,forming spikes. That's one scenario. It could be that they aren't crysals at all, and just finish incompatibility. Have you checked your tiller to see if it is weak or hinged at the site?

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 03:55:52 am »
They were there before I braced for the first time after the clear dried an hour later. After I braced it, it did make more pop up so I guess your right about it "crumpling". And the tiller is fine, top limb is a little bit stiff but nothing major.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 08:08:47 am »
Coats of stain and finish make them more visible. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 11:51:43 am »
Exactly what Jawgey Poo said. I have heard alot about cracking finish. I have built close to 100 bows all the while using at least six different types of sealers from dipping and rubbing to spray on. None ever cracked, and patience isnt my strong suit so you can guess I jumped the gun on the drying process a time or two.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 12:39:29 pm »
When sanding it down, you should do it out in the daylight, n use acetone or denatured alcohol after the last couple fine grits. And look it over verycarefully a thousand n one times. The solvents will highlight any left tool marks or if you have any frets that had popped up and you missed. That way you know what it looks like before you seal it. Although a bow can fret after sealing as well due to a number of different reasons.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 09:14:24 pm »
If you can feel the chrysals then they must be quite pronounced.  Chrysals can be seen more than felt
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 10:21:13 pm »
Thank you for the info and the tips, llI remember it for the next bow. For now I'm just gonna sand it down with some fine grit and put one more coat of clear to make it shine again.

I used to work in a body shop and my job was. Prep and detailing and something as tiny as a piece of dirt can leave a very noticable mark.

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 10:35:41 pm »
Don't sand chrysals. Makes them worse. That area is bending too much. Remove wood from above and below leaving the chrysalled area alone. Show some pics to be sure. Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 11:33:54 pm »
Its all along the limb, both of them.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 11:46:29 pm »
 I wasnt planning on sanding all the way down the to wood. I'm not gonna go through the clear at all just enough so you can't feel them.

blackhawk

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 07:24:23 am »
Is your made of black locust by chance? I think some more info about your bow will help us help you better. Wood? Dimensions? Draw weight and length? And pics of your tiller?

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 08:22:43 am »
Chrysals localized in one spot on the limb indicate a tillering problem where the limb is just bending too much in that area while chrysals spread along the entire limb means a design problem which stresses the whole limb. That could mean the bow is too short or too narrow for its weight. Chrysals usually go across the limb and can be small or large. They are called frets if they are large. I've had both over the years. :)  But again we need pictures. Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 02:27:33 pm »
I would put up some pics but I don't have a computer and my phone won't let me do it. The bow is hickory. 68" long 1 1/2 wide at the fades tapered down to 1/2" tips. It pulls 25# at 28".

Ill just call this bow done and start on the next one.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 10:01:20 am »
Judging by the spec it should have been more than enough wood for the job.
Could it have been too wet still?