Author Topic: Need help with dimensions for red oak bow with siyahs... Trying for 70#s at 24"  (Read 1970 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Trying for 70#s at 24". I was aiming around 66" to 68" nock to nock, or not much less than that.. Unless it is needed to be smaller to up the wieght. Including siyahs. All will be red oak. My game plan so far is to Make a 60"  or so pyramid bow out of 2 1/4" wide oak board from lowes, tappering from 2 1/4" to 1/4" and at a constant 1/2" thickness, then cut the tips just enough to remove temporary nocks and glue on siyahs. Also wrap siyahs and glued on riser before stressing to avoid potential glue failures. Siyahs will be from as plain sawn red oak as I can find at lowes to constitute the rings not being pulled apart. Not sure what wideth I should get, want to get as small as possible, but might have to fork out for a little longer glue area. What I am puzzled about is what dimensions I should go for to MAKE SURE I get 70# at 24". This is what I could really use some advice on from someone more experienced. 
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Jesse

I'm no expert on bows with siyahs but I would think a 68" ntn bow with siyahs is awfully long for a short 24" draw. 
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Onebowonder

I realize that this an older post, but it happens to be precisely related to something I want to do.  Has this bow been built?  How did it turn out?  Are there any tips or pix available for it???

Offline toomanyknots

I realize that this an older post, but it happens to be precisely related to something I want to do.  Has this bow been built?  How did it turn out?  Are there any tips or pix available for it???

Sent cha a PM One Bow,  ;D
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair