Author Topic: Arrow help?  (Read 2610 times)

Offline hurlbri1

Arrow help?
« on: October 09, 2012, 04:30:27 pm »
So I just made two hickory board bows--one is going to the GF (draws 41 lb at 27") and one for my very first deer hunt--a low 50 lb pryamid style board bow (not finished yet--gotta put some arrows through it). 

I've done a fair amount of research so I am not completely clueless (maybe close to completely  ;)), BUT...what sized broadhead, in terms of grain, do I need for Whitetail? 2 blade or 3 blade?  State of Illinois requires 7/8" diameter but that's all it says. 

What grains per inch should I be shooting?  I like the idea of a heavier arrow for penetration...but how heavy?

I am not into making my own arrows...yet...so aluminum with feather fletching? 

Where should I buy these arrows?  I saw the test kit from 3 rivers, but assembly is required and I have no idea how... 

THEN...how do you transition from target shooting to broadhead shooting?

Yes, I am kind of ignorant here...so any help you cna provide would be great and much, much appreciated!

Cheers!

Brian
"All science is either physics or stamp collecting" -Ernest Rutherford

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
Re: Arrow help?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 06:05:49 pm »
OK,  So I'm not actively hunting now days and am not making these recommendations based on experience, but here goes.    The usual recommendation is to use two blade broadheads with primitive bows. Multi-blade heads will decrease total penetration.
I suggest that ~ 500 grain total arrow mass will be sufficient to get good penetration on most game.   If you're hunting hogs, bear or moose you need to talk to someone with direct experience. 
I've shot broadheads and find that ( in my experience ) they hit the same place as a similar field point.  So find/ make an arrow that flies well from your bow and you can just switch the head.   You should shoot to prove that, that works on your bow, but you're going to be practicing anyway.
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 01:28:59 pm »
Any popular two blade in three rivers wil get er done.   I like 125 grain.    My poplar arrows sre about 550 grains total.   

Avoid metal arrows.........grab a dozen wood ones.    They will be quiter.   And a whole lot more fun in the end.   If you can build a bow you can certainly taper the end of the shaft and hot glue a point on. 

Have a way to keep your heads razor scary sharp.    I use a little yellow sharpener meant for knives.   Works better than my lansky system.
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline hurlbri1

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 07:36:32 pm »
Army Medic and M-P--both Army?  I was Army...Armor and Signal Corps (got out as an O-3)...anyway, thanks for the advice! 500 gr plus is the way to go, 125 gr tips, 2 blade broadhead--very sharp!...

Any thought to length?  My draw is 27"...since I am no expert shooter, I read an inch or two extra (above the 1/2 or so needed for broadheads), maybe shoot a 29" arrow?  I hear the longer the arrow, the more forgiving in terms of accuracy--any truth to that?

Thanks for the help! 

Cheers,

Bri

Offline JustJake

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 06:31:57 pm »
I don't have a lot of experience but I will say that you should try different broad head styles.  I too was told when I first started shooting a recurve that 2 blade heads were the way to go.  I found that they shot much more inconsistent than field points.  I tried 3 blade heads and was more accurate.  Just today I picked up some 4 blade type. They have the big wide one pc blade like the 2 blade type and then a small blade in back going perpendicular to the main blade.  Going to give those a try tomorrow.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 08:21:18 pm »
2 Blade you can't make them fly bad.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 10:56:29 pm »
hurlbri1,    My online  moniker is just my initials.  I never served in the armed forces, though I am more and more appreciative of those that do.
I occasionally wonder what the forum members from the UK think when they see my moniker.     
Ron May-Pumphrey
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 12:15:54 am »
You've gotten great advice.  Basically 10grains per pound of draw weight is what most people do.  Start with 2blade heads for sure.  As for length, if I were you I'd start with a couple full length and see how they shoot.  Then shorten them an inch and see how they shoot.  You may find the arrows you buy fly best at 31", 30", or 29" or it may not matter and you can shoot the length you like.

Good luck,
George
St Paul, TX

Offline hurlbri1

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 05:12:14 pm »
Thanks for all the advice.  I think I got hosed when I went to local archery shop.  I was a bit anxious and bought a set of Carbon arrows, 32" long at 8.67 grains per inch with 125 grain head.

And my bow is right at 42# at 27".  I feel like it's shooting ok.  I do like the longer arrow I feel like it helps me aim a bit. And the weight is right at 10 grains per draw.

Now on to my nock point!

Thanks again guys!

Cheers,

Bri

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 10:46:38 am »
   CARBONS AND SELFBOWS DON'T CLICK. You make the bow why not the arrows.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING