Author Topic: about indian arrows  (Read 2371 times)

Offline Blacktail

about indian arrows
« on: October 13, 2012, 09:54:22 pm »
i have a question about making some west coast indian arrows..the question is about the main shaft...What do you use to make the whole for the foreshaft...i have some ocean spray and it tapers from 3/8-1/4...and i cant figure out what to use....i was thinking about using a small drill bit..but then i have to get it straight...what do you use and how far do you go into the main shaft...thanks john

Offline Keenan

Re: about indian arrows
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 11:32:17 pm »
John, I think many of the arrows that had hard wood forshats were made with main shats that have larger pith cores like Syringa or river cane.

Offline anasazi

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 12:22:19 pm »
You could try a coat hanger or copper wire just get it good and hot over a fire or candle and burn out the pith. Just a thought.

Offline aaron

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 12:44:58 pm »
the old arrows i have seen have a conical hole that's only about an inch deep. Traditionally, these would be drilled in using a conical stone drill. You could perhaps substitute by using the tip of a "spade bit" . don't put the bit in a drill, but turn it by hand. There's also a tool used for deburring holes in metal- it's like a cone with sharp "flutes"  or ridges.
your ocean spray has a small pith- hopefully it is centered 'cos your tool will follow it.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Deo

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 01:15:41 am »
It seems that a lot of the compound shafts had a lighter material for the main shaft and heavier material for the foreshaft. I have some syringa arrows i drilled out very carfully with an electric drill, i recomend trying it by hand. I plan on making forshafts out of heavier material since syringa is a bit light. Ishi drilled hazel shafts and inserted forshafts, cant remeber what kind. I also am going to try red osier compound shafts. Ocean spray is a great heavy shaft material. good luck.

I would hold the arrow in one hand and the drill in the other and slowy drill out th hole with pulses. I recomend doing it by hand, i did crack a few arrows that way. I would bind the shaft before you drilled it.