Author Topic: Matts Osage Bow  (Read 3353 times)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Matts Osage Bow
« on: October 11, 2012, 10:56:33 pm »
  I mentioned this bow in an earlier post.  Osage, 63" overall.  45 lbs at 27 inches.  1 1/2" to mid limb, tapers to 3/8" nocks.  5" handle, 2" fades.  Antler tip overlays.  Buddy of mine called and asked if I would go halves with him on 2 staves he bought on Ebay.  As luck would have it I somehow ended up with the lesser of the two.  Go figure.  It's been setting around my shop for 4 years.  Lot's of issues with it.  Paper thin rings, with a high percentage of early growth to boot.  It had a bend that caused the tips to be 2 inches out of alignment.  Drying checks that run through back to belly, a bit snakey and prop twist.  Worst, the two limbs approach the handle at different angles.  I finally pulled it out and decided to see what I could do with it.  I made it for my best friends 12 year old boy Matt to hunt with.  Long story short, it kicked my Ar$$.  Still don't have the tiller right but it's as close as I will get it.  Already piked it once as it came in under weight, but 66 inches was too long anyway for him.  With the limb angles and prop twist, it just never did look right on both sides of the bow.  Finally said that's the best I can do.  The back is so thin I couldn't do much finish sanding on it.  It's smooth, but you can see the tool mark shadows.  I stepped it over in the handle to get the tips aligned.  Heavy temper on the belly to firm it up.  I've shot it a bunch over the last few days and it shoots really well which is what counts.  I think he'll like it!  Thanks for lookin'. 
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Adam

Re: Matts Osage Bow
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 11:00:35 pm »
I'd say you did a very nice job with a piece of wood that didn't want to cooperate.  I've not seen a leather grip laced that way before.  I like it!

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 11:12:57 pm »
Most admirable job in the face of adversity!

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 11:19:27 pm »
Nothing wrong with that bow Slim,.I'd bet that the recipient will be pleased to have that to hunt with.
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 06:03:02 am »
Very nice bow,good looking piece of Osage. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 02:06:32 pm »
Looks good to these eyes. New owner should love it.
I never had a stave stain up my work bench like that though. :o
Steve Bennett

Offline Adam

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 02:10:59 pm »
That's not a stain, it's a badge of honor!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 07:48:24 pm »
The bottom limb looks pretty weak.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 08:18:41 pm »
Nice looking bow.
Rob

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 10:09:59 pm »
  Thanks guys.  Eric...Yep, never could get it looking right.  From one perspective it appeared different than from another angel.  I actually pulled the handle wrap off, popped the rest off and turned the bow upside down.  Shot terrible, so I turned it back over. The limbs come into the handle at different angles.  What you see is as close as I could get it.  On the tree the limbs are pulled perfectly to the same spot, it just looks off.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 11:08:32 pm »
Matt will love this bow. Sure will be different from the little Indian style flat bows that he has used all of his life. He won't know what to do with himself.   CC

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 12:12:06 am »
Prop twist can be a pain.
You cant trust yer eyes when dealing with that.

You know better than any of us if the bottom limb is weak.

One thing I do is tiller in a mirror, look at the bow every which way.
Also use some sorta caliper, those dont succumb to optical illusions.

I just finished a bow that the bottom limb looks a touch weak, until I flip it round, then the former top (now bottom) looks weak.