Author Topic: Advice please! Bamboo backed Osage - my first piece of Osage ever  (Read 12079 times)

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
Re: Advice please! Bamboo backed Osage - my first piece of Osage ever
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2008, 12:32:32 pm »
Hi All,  After a very long break (life, work and shooting has been in the way!), I have made some headway with this bow now.  Of course there are some pictures, but also I would appreciate your comments on the tiller that I have right now.  The bow has come out at about 60lb @28 inches, and I'm looking to finalise the tiller before shooting-in and applying any proper finish.  Current statius is just sanded down, and there still some shaping work to do on the handle, horn overlays etc.

So, for my first ever piece of osage (even if backed with 'boo), please give me some feedback  ;D

Regards, Bob

[attachment deleted by admin]
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

DCM

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2008, 12:41:06 pm »
Outstanding.  The right limb bends a little more generously on the inner third than the left, which is a very little bit stiff around the node of boo.  If the right is the upper, the bow takes equal set all along the limb I'd say you are good to go.  It would help a great deal to see you drawing it, and facing perpendicular to the cameria with no canting.  Simply a matter of how you will apply pressure to the handle, grasp the string versus your tiller tree.  Also, how it shoots should be of some consideration.  I generally start shooting short draw, say 26" and then adjust the tiller accordingly.  Sometime shooting in like this works the bow differently than the tree, calling for different tiller adjustments, also it allow one to trial and error to get best shooting manners.  Nice bow.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2008, 12:41:26 pm »
Looking great. Which end is up? If the left limb is the top I would take a few more scrapes from mid-limb out to a few inches from the nock. If it's the  bottom, I would sand that sucker down and lay the varnish to it.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2008, 12:42:59 pm »
Mims, looks like we were typing at the same time. Great minds think somewhat alike.  ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2008, 08:52:21 pm »

looks great!!!
Frank from Germany...

Offline bobnewboy

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2008, 10:31:47 am »
Hi Fellas,

Thanks very much for the feedback on the tillering.  The missus is around today, and so she has taken some pics of me drawing the bow.

First pic is with the right hand limb as the bottom limb.  Second pic is with the right hand limb as the top limb.  I havent had time to shoot any arrows thru the bow yet, but from the pics it seems to me that the second pic looks better from a tillering perspecitve.

What do you say?

Regards, Bob.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline DanaM

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2008, 11:17:55 am »
Looks great either way bob, would look even better if I was shootin it ;)
She came out great, well done :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2008, 11:27:18 am »
Yep, I like the second one better. Nice looking bow.
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2008, 11:46:11 am »
Without a doubt the second pic is the way I'd go! Tiller looks outstanding in that pic!!!Well Done!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2008, 12:09:55 pm »
The first six inches out of the fade of the top limb looks too stiff to me. On your full draw pic the top limb looks a good bit stiffer than the bottom limb. Could be an illusion created by the camera.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2008, 12:25:00 pm »
Bob, You did a nice job on this bow. The second pis shows a more evenly tillered bow. The bend is smoother throughout the entire bow. There may be a few spots that could be worked on but for me, I'd say go with the second pic and start putting some arrows through her. You could easily put a dozen arrows through her in the time it took to take the 2 pics.   Well done,  ;)  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bobnewboy

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2008, 08:01:31 pm »
Hello again Fellas,  as usual many thanks for the valuable advice.  I will setup the bow so that it shoots as in the second pic, as this seems to be the best orientation for tiller.  Pat, I will put some arrows thru the bow as soon as I get down to the woods - my backyard is the size of a postage stamp and you have seen most of it in the pictures  :D  The neighbours are waaaay to close to even think about a poor shot,  but that's one of the tradeoffs you pay for living in suburbia  :-\

I'll post some more pix when I get further down the build - string, final finish, etc etc.  I have some nice purple 450Plus to try out   ;D

Thanks again,  Bob

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2008, 12:16:44 pm »

second pic looks VERY good to me; top limb seems to stiff on the first picture!
frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline Badger

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2008, 12:23:25 pm »
Love the tiller on that bow, second pic for sure is the way to go. Steve

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2008, 02:39:25 pm »
Don't know if you are going to post pictures of the tips, handle, etc. Also, pictures of the braced, unbraced bow are iimportant. But from the full draw, I'm definitely bookmarking you for March Laminant Bow of the Month! Nice job.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday