Author Topic: Long time browser wants to get serious...  (Read 2946 times)

Offline BOWMAN53

Re: Long time browser wants to get serious...
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 11:45:42 pm »
All you need for a board bow is a heavy rasp from lowes for 9 bucks and  one 6 inch clamp for about 15 bucks. If you take your time then the rough out should take about a week or less depending on what design you make.  By then you should have came up with more money and all you need is a pair of scissors and sand paper.

Offline sleek

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2012, 01:10:50 am »
Never made one with my teeth, but I did make one from a sapling a beaver had cut down and chewed all the bark off of. Does that count?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2012, 02:09:37 am »
Close enough sleek! Absolute minimum would be a sharp stone, don't you think?Everyone has favourite tools but essentially you need something to cut to length your tree/board. You can use edge tools ,like knives or chopping tools like hatchets or I suppose you could even file it off, but there is a reason saws were invented. I carry a 15 dollar pruning saw in the Jeep.you never know when a bow wants to be rescued from tree trimmers and wood chippers. The hatchet will get you going from there, but if you are moving straight onto boards, then a draw knife is likely your best non powertool bet. Learn to sharpen it and learn to use it. wielded properly ti can hog of pieces the size of your thumb or shavings thin enough you canread the newspaper through. Getting more refined closer to tiller requires a little more finesse . Abrasion gets the shape you need but leaves a rough surface. A good rasp will let you shape the contours around the handle and fades which can be cleaned up with sand paper. Neither of those have a very steep learning curve .I prefer to do all the final tillering with a card scraper,with the bow braced .$10 ,lasts forever.It takes some practice but when you get good with it ,it will be your go to tool.Once again you have to know how to sharpen it and do a little practice. I clean up most of the rasp marks with it too. Just saves time and sawdust. A bow scale isn't a must have ,but a dollar store luggage scale or the bathroom scale trick works.Most people tend to think their bow draws heavier than it is,and if you plan on hunting big game you have to make sure your bow is legal. Make youself a tillering stick.It will help tonnes.