Author Topic: Heavier than your normal draw how do you know it's a shooter??  (Read 2023 times)

Offline coaster500

Heavier than your normal draw how do you know it's a shooter??
« on: October 15, 2012, 12:35:08 pm »
I am building a bow for someone that shoots 12/13 more pounds than my MAX draw weight. I have put some arrows through it but it is killing my shoulder (I use a very modified draw to get it done) and I really don't have the feel I would normally have to finish final adjustments at this weight.
I have exercised the limbs and managed to put a hundred arrows or so through it (without any form with a ton of pain killers) but it's real hard for me to know if it's a shooter because my form sucks at this weight!!!!!! The bow is a supprise so I can't have the end user try it yet....

How do you test a bow when it is heavier than you can shoot comfortably???

I don't have anyone around me that can pull my bows let alone one that is heavier.....
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Heavier than your normal draw how do you know it's a shooter??
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 12:47:09 pm »
If its tillered well and balances in your hand at the beginning of the draw, it will at its intended weight and length. Ship it Kip Winger.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 03:01:46 pm »
Drums that all looks good but it sure would be nice to feel it...  can't even lift my bow arm today so I'll have to trust it ??? My heavy bow days are over!!!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 03:12:28 pm »
Hvae you seen how Marc does it? Some of his PA articles show his set up. Quite simple really. Its basically a tiller tree block screwed in sideways to allow you to draw the bow vertically with two hands if need be.

I have never personally had a bow feel great the first 20" and then get messed up after that. My money says your good to go.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 03:17:52 pm »

I have never personally had a bow feel great the first 20" and then get messed up after that. My money says your good to go.
ill agree with that, as long as the tillers good, the performance at a shorter drw length should carry through
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 05:17:58 pm »
i'm with pearlie on this, that's why i useually don't use the tree after around 22", Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 06:52:03 pm »
how heavy is this bow?
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline coaster500

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 07:12:50 pm »
Drums I'll see if I can find Marc's set up....  thank you

I wrapped it up and mailed it today. I sent a letter with it and told him if he didn't like the way it shot I'd send him a new one...  We will see???

fishfinder401 it's 63/64@27 pounds and for me that's tough (I know it's light for some of you). I was told I needed surgery over 20 years ago and never got it done so I am limited. It's actually kind of comical if you stand next to me when I draw anything over 50#s you can hear my shoulder. It sounds like dull popcorn!!! I shoot with a two finger release so drawing strength is no problem at any weight it's the bow arm. That shoulder is all over the place with a heavy bow.