Author Topic: possible fix for set?  (Read 2245 times)

Offline vinemaplebows

possible fix for set?
« on: October 11, 2012, 09:02:42 pm »
Maybe this has been discussed or done before, if it has, I missed it......just a theory. :) I was thinking that if you have a bow with set you could flatten the belly (has to be darn flat) reflex the bow, and add a belly lam. I am thinking that being glued in reflex, the belly would have to come past the nuetral plane (fighting the glue line) which would repair the string follow??? A form of PERRY on the belly?? This would be a extreme amount of work, but if you were short on wood, maybe it would save a bow?

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: possible fix for set?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 09:30:27 pm »
Seems like that would work. Obviously one would have to retiller the bow. You got a bow to give it a test run on? I'm steam bending some reflex into a short osage bow right now. Ended up with about 2.5" of set, but it shoots great. Let us know how it goes.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 09:39:12 pm »
Been done many times.  Makes sense to remove enough depth to remove all or most of the crushed cells.
 Marc posted a sinew backed bow which I believe was made of cherry that he had removed the belly and replaced it with Osage.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 09:46:23 pm »
Yes it will work.With a person being short on wood.All depends on what a person thinks is a lot of work.Adding poudage...then trapping and side tillering to your draw weight again.Gotta have enough width to begin with to do this though.
It's a good tool to have in your bag of ideas.
Everybody has found the heat treating method of the belly to get rid of string follow though which does'nt take as long and less work,but heating it over and over and over is'nt a good thing either IMHO.It can dry the wood out to lose it's integrity if done too much.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 09:49:00 pm »
Thats an interesting idea. I love 'fixing' bows.

I can't tell you how many times I've taken a bow too far, knowingly, to see where the limit is and so I could fix it. Lately they have been un-fixable...
I may try this one of these days but with horn instead...

Now that I think about it, a couple of times, Ive fixed a hinge with a similar method . I rasped and scraped several inches flat, pulled it to where I wanted, then added a belly lam and a thread wrap. John Strunk taught me that, if he says it works, I'm inclined to believe him.

I have never done a whole bow though...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 09:57:45 pm by sharpend60 »

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 10:01:00 pm »
Going to give that a shot ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 10:41:14 am »
Here is a pic of a hickory backed hard maple molle bow I made that developed some crysals. I added some osage belly lams that took out some set and added back a little poundage, as well.

Thanks to ole Pearl Drums for the idea. From what I understand, he has done this multiple times. Maybe he will chime in with more feedback.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 10:14:52 am by lesken2011 »
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 11:30:49 am »
Yup, multiple times Bulldog. I have used Ipe and osage and both woods worked great.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 01:10:53 pm »
You bet.Way to go.It'll work.Enjoy it.Done it myself too a number of times mostly with horn though.Something I keep in the back of my mind all the time with this is that you usually will lose half of the reflex you induce after shooting.So you have to compensate for this most times.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 01:37:06 pm »
Besides the fix....it looks kinda neat! Why didn't you post this idea Pearl?? Or did you?
VMB

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 01:47:32 pm »
I have at least a few times man. I think the last time was an ash bow from this past summer.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 02:35:47 pm »
I must have missed it.....anyhow, guess it works! :laugh:

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 02:36:45 pm »
Add a bunch of glued in reflex at the same time. The slat will hold it pretty good.

Offline bubby

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 04:40:36 pm »
i've done the same on a bow that was bending to much at the fades, cut the lam and pre bent it to match the fades and glued up, worked great, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 08:50:35 pm »
I've done the same with a few bows and also used osage and ipe, two very good compression woods.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC