Author Topic: Tip lean  (Read 2526 times)

Offline Moggy

Tip lean
« on: October 11, 2012, 03:51:46 pm »
I have always been told that when a Bow is strung and th tip leans to one side, that the side it is leaning on,,or toward, is the strong side? Could someone here,,experienced give me some schooling on this?

Offline boughnut

Re: Tip lean
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 03:57:41 pm »
could be a number of things, your tips are out of align ment with center of handle, one side of the limbe is thicker than the other and so on.  but i general if your tips are not to narrow you can bring your knock point in on that side and bringing it closer to center line with the handle that should help some.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 04:01:14 pm by boughnut »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 06:20:15 pm »
The limb bends to the weak side.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 06:54:07 pm »
Thanks Eric, It's no wonder I've never been able to correct a twisted limb. Everything always seemed to get worse!!!!!! Logically thinking which I often have a hard time doing, I thought the strong side would pull the weak side over.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 07:09:06 pm »
  Thinkin' about this.  Not to be argumentative, but if I'm not mistaken, the tip will lean to the strong side.  The weak side bends and the strong side stays straight???
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 07:15:26 pm »
There is a thread on here somewhere where someone took a piece of wood and purposely makes one side weak to show the effect.  It is a good thread -  I am sure you can find it  -  or someone else will chime in with the link.

Bottom line though - - the  tips will lean towards the weak side as that is the side that is not strong enough to "stay straight".   I know it can seem counter intuitive, but this is the way it is.  I wish I had that link -- it is a very good explanation.  Much better than I could give. 

Russ

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 07:23:42 pm »
And now 15# lighter, maybe I can save that 62" red elm bow hanging on the rack that's been dancing the twist. At least it may make a good bow for some youngster.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 07:30:45 pm »
This is not the thread I was referring to, but it should help you understand the factors in play. 

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,27206.msg364231.html#msg364231

Russ

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 07:46:01 pm »
  Wow.  That seems pretty conclusive.  Gonna have to cogitate on this a bit.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Moggy

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 10:02:32 pm »
Very thankfull!!!!!!!! :)

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 11:52:34 pm »
It has been my experience that removing wood from the strong side will not always bring a limb back in line. Most of the time I heat the offending limb and straighten it, works every time. I make very straight limb bows by the way, I won't tolerate any doglegs.