Author Topic: splitting the stave out problem/solving. i don't get it  (Read 3904 times)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Re: splitting the stave out problem/solving. i don't get it
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2012, 07:11:42 pm »
Just remember to follow what was mentioned earlier about not trying to split clear through until your split line is established. That's another reason I keep 2 sharp axes available. If your split starts leaning, you can reestablish to your pencil mark with a good tap on your axe from the split to where you want to take it.

I've been talking to Eric Bartels (rockcityusa) on Ebay  and invited him to check out Primitive Archer. I get most all of my osage from him or his dad because I can't find any close to home to cut. I'm going to have to pick his brain and find out his method because he and Lavern have some of the cleanest split wood I've ever gotten.

Eric mentioned he'd like to try his hand at making a selfbow and I told him he'd get much better directions here than he could from me.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.