Author Topic: Chokecherry - *Patching in Progress* Added link to video  (Read 8363 times)

Offline sleek

Re: Chokecherry - First Successful Selfbow - Or NOT!
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 06:41:51 am »
I would have to add, to heat treat the one spot where the splinter is, heat the belly of course. When that splinter lifted, you lost some strength there in the wood and heat treating that ONE section of the bow will give you the strength back. I have had to do that where splinters have lifted and caused hinges in the past. Good luck, you can fix her!

Oh, and do that first thing before ANY glue or rawhide etc....
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 06:50:21 am »
Nice looking bow,worth a try,super glue and rawhide sounds like good advice to me. Good luck and let us know how it turns out. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Parnell

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2012, 11:19:09 am »
Mmmmm, nuts.  I've had two bust on me over the last several months.  An ironwood bend in the handle that had a knot and the hearbreaker - sinew backed osage.  Ugh!  I don't know what to blame it on so I'm just saying it was defective osage... ???

Like you said, it happens.  But, man what a sweet looking bow design and beautiful wood!  I'd try to save it.
1’—>1’

Offline Keenan

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2012, 12:21:49 pm »
 Bummer about the tick but at this point you have put allot of heart and soul into your bow and it shows. She is worthy of trying to save in my opinion

Offline coaster500

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2012, 12:59:12 pm »
Back it!!! Way to nice not to give it a chance???
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2012, 05:45:27 pm »
Thanks for all the feedback and encouragement guys.  I'll try to get her fixed up and let you all know how it turns out.

One question about the CA glue - I'm assuming I want to brace the bow to open the crack so it fills with glue, and then quickly unbrace it so the glue sets up with the bow in it's relaxed state? Just want to make sure before I proceed, as I've never had to do this before (usually my failures go BOOM! :) )

Sleek - I'll try giving her some more heat first  to stiffen her up.  If I have to touch up the tiller that's no big deal.

Beadman - The chokecherry was only about 3" in diameter before I floor tillered, so there was a fairly high crown (at least by my standards, coming from a guy who makes board bows).  But you're right, most of the heartwood was removed.  I have a couple more chokecherry staves and I will definitely be backing them.

Offline sleek

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2012, 05:53:53 pm »
Dont brace it, takes to long, just bend across your knee a few times to work the glue in then press hard to set the glue in there. Use allot of glue.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2012, 03:12:45 am »
...shoot some liquid control super glue in the crack n then umbrace it,then rawhide back it. ....

I had success with a silk plaster the way Torges describes it: I superglued on umbrella silk and wrapped tight with thin strong thread on a bamboo backed bow some thousand shots ago.

Dont brace it, takes to long, just bend across your knee a few times to work the glue in then press hard to set the glue in there. Use allot of glue.

I think that's better than bracing, too, but have a helping hand to do it!

Yes, supernice bow!
Frank from Germany...

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2012, 09:22:49 am »
Cracks on the belly will open up as you draw the bow.  The crack tries to get shorter and wider under compression.  On the back, they will close up under tension, trying to get longer and thus thinner.  Warm the glue and the crack.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2012, 11:05:29 am »
All good advice. Medicinewheel, I think Blackhawk made a good point about backing the entire working limb instead of just the affected area, so I'm going to go with what I know and that's rawhide backings.  I'm sure silk would be just as effective, if not better, but I have rawhide on hand :)

Slimbob, thanks for the tip on warming the bow and glue, I suppose that would really help the wood wick-up the glue.  I will try that.  Luckily I'm a great procrastinator, and haven't got around to gluing it already! :)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2012, 12:16:01 pm »
Good deducting there.With the crown and all it probably called for a rawhide back to begin with.I've fell short on insight on some wood too,and I think this bow still can be one of your favorites for a long long time.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Re: Chokecherry - *Patching in Progress*
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2012, 01:46:59 am »
Well I got the crack glued up and have rawhide drying on one limb as I type.  I tried an experiment for the backing glue-up.  I don't know if anyone else has tried something similar to this, but it derived from the technique I use for glueing rawhide on my board bows - basically the rawhide gets sandwiched between the bow blank and another straight board and clamped up.  Obviously this can't be done on a self bow because of the crowned back.  So what I did was sandwiched the rawhide between some semi-rigid foam and the bow.  I also made a padded caul that is shaped to the belly contour. I'm hoping the foam will make the rawhide form to the back and provide enough pressure to give a good bond, but not so much that it squeezes all of the glue out and starves the joint.  I took a video of the process, if anyone is interested I'll upload it and post a link.  I know a lot of people just wrap it with twine, or ace bandages.  While I've never tried that, I picture all kinds of problems with doing it that way, mainly it being messy, it would leave markings in the rawhide, and the overhanging rawhide would be wrapped around the bow.

Like I said, this is just an experiment, but so far it's looking real good.  :)

« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 02:41:42 am by Cameroo »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2012, 06:20:59 am »
Good luck, Keep us updated.I always just wet the raw hide till it is soft and put it on like a snake skin. That looks really thick,must be cow hide. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2012, 10:52:50 am »
You're right pappy, it's cowhide.  I prefer deer rawhide but this is what I had :)

Here's a link to the video if anyone wants to check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SimvkFMFyJQ

Offline sharpend60

Re: Chokecherry - *Patching in Progress* Added link to video
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2012, 12:13:14 pm »
You may want to give that rawhide a healthy, even sanding once it's stuck tight.
Rawhide is some tough stuff.

Your glue up method looks to be just fine. Reminds me of how the glass guys do it. Where is the air compressor and fire hose?

In regards to the more traditional methods, it aint that messy. I also burnish the rawhide after the glue has sat bound up for an hour or so. The hide is still moist at that point. It helps adhesion and gets rid of any texture from my wrapping, old tee shirts in my case.

I did notice, your string nocks are cut into the back of the bow. I know there is very little stress there with this design but it may cause an issue at some point. Just food for thought...