Author Topic: Cape Girardeau bow building class  (Read 2146 times)

Offline swamp monkey

Cape Girardeau bow building class
« on: October 01, 2012, 07:03:30 pm »
For the past six years I have been privileged enough to host and teach a bow making clinic at the Cape Girardeau Conservation Nature Center. 
I have a couple co instructors and we host on average 15 participants. 

On the first night: They learn about archery history in North America.  Then they learn about the varieties of trees that can make bows, how to cut and procure them, and some design tips.
They are exposed to the tillering process and tool care/sharpening.  Finally the fun starts.  We choose staves and lay out the bow.  Everyone starts with hickory and we make a pyramidal design chin height for each participant.   Finally, I encourage them to eat a good breakfast for tomorrow, before I dismiss them.
First full day: They begin hacking away with hatchets.  We do all of our work with hand tools.  Hatchet work is followed by draw knifing.  Once the front profile is more or less established, we layout the side profile on both sides.  We cut kerf marks and split off large chunks of wood from the belly.  This saves time and effort!
A few folks have their bow at floor tiller shortly after noon but most are there by day’s end.  That is when the sore and tired hands and shoulders begin to bark out their complaints.  So I send them home with the promise they will earn more tomorrow. 
Day two now they learn tillering and string making.  We joke about a bucket of water to dunk our heads into when we: get impatient. 
As participants finished to their desired draw length and weight I called out the success.  The others all clapped and cheered. 
This is a well-received class.  Many of the past participants have gone on to make more bows.  I love the satisfaction of passing on this skill and knowing that not only that folks make more bows, but they go on to hunt with them.  Some of them hunting for the first time.   That is exciting. 
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 12:05:26 pm by swamp monkey »

Offline swamp monkey

Re: Cape Girardeau bow building class
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 07:09:26 pm »
The class took place September 27-29.  A smile and handshake accompanied every bow. 

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 11:47:27 pm »
Atta boy!  Good work spreading the addiction around.  Keep it up and I will trading in buying osage futures!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 05:56:37 am »
Good for you,very good thing you are doing. :) Looks like some pretty nice bows tunned out also. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Josh B

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 09:37:56 am »
Way to pass it on!  Looks like a good time was had and some folks learned a rewarding skill.  Good on ya Swamp Monkey!  Josh

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 10:01:39 am »
Excellent!!!!   ;D

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 06:10:58 pm »
Ahhh, brings back very fond memories from a long time ago when I was a student in a class just like that one. Good work!

George
St Paul, TX

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 01:31:48 pm »
I need a class like that!

Offline Patches

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 02:58:00 pm »
Glad the workshop went well! 
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 12:24:43 pm »
Now that we have roughly 45 graduates from this class I hope to be able to offer an Osage orange class next October. 

Thanks for the positive comments.  I love seeing those bow making light bulbs turn on in newbies!

Offline Kiwiarcher

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 11:18:34 am »
Hi all. This is my first post. Wanted to say a big Hi and thanks to Swamp Monkey for a great course. Im the handsome one on the right a full draw haha. I would never have thought that I would have a functioning bow after only two days. Have had a lot of positive comments from friends and family on it. Thanks again. Looking forward to the Osage Orange class.
Do it once, do it right.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 11:21:03 am »
Welcome to the addiction.  Glad you're here.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 09:52:59 pm »
Hi all. This is my first post. Wanted to say a big Hi and thanks to Swamp Monkey for a great course. Im the handsome one on the right a full draw haha. I would never have thought that I would have a functioning bow after only two days. Have had a lot of positive comments from friends and family on it. Thanks again. Looking forward to the Osage Orange class.

Stoneberg said it best.  Welcome to the addiction! You did great on your first bow.  Hopefully you can make it to the Osage class next October.  We'll see if we can't make it a challenge for ya next time!   ;)

Offline Kiwiarcher

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 01:06:21 pm »
Haha. Looking forward to it. Still have some work to do on it. But getting there. I'll make a point of bringing it by for your inspection.
Do it once, do it right.

Offline Patches

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 03:22:37 pm »
Kiwiarcher - I have known Swamp Monkey for many years, and he will likely get you hooked on all kinds of primitve habits if you don't watch it! 
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."