Author Topic: Osage color  (Read 3805 times)

Offline occupant

Osage color
« on: October 08, 2012, 01:11:42 am »
Does anyone know how to keep the bright yellow color of osage from darkening. I like the color of the almost finished bow and would like to keep it.

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: Osage color
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 01:33:54 am »
my guess is that it isnt possible to stop the color from changing. maybe im wrong.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Tortoise

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 01:48:34 am »
Over time it will age and darken, the moisture has a lot to do with it, down here where I live (4% humidity summer) if I leave it in the garage it darkens in a week, but if it's in the house it's always bright yellow.
-Peter
Arizona

Offline Weylin

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 02:14:11 am »
I think the UV has alot to do with it as well. maybe if you give a good coating of spf 100 before you finish it.  ;D ;)

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 08:23:20 am »
UV and direct sunlight has a lot to do with it; maybe try a marine grade polurethane that touts superior UV protection.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 09:50:27 am »
  I've read that the wood is photo sensitive and read elsewhere that it oxidizes and changes color.  Not sure which, if either is correct (or maybe both).  I prefer the darkening and set my bows out in the sun to get that nice patina going.  I have bows that range from electric yellow, burnt orange all the way to nearly black.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 10:28:46 am »
You can slow down the color change but you can't prevent it. Using UV blocker finishes will slow it down some.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Stringman

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 12:29:13 pm »
I'm with SLIMBOB! Love the color change and wear it like a badge of honor. If you have a dark copper Osage bow then it's been around for awhile. Can't buy that color. Plus it's a lot less offensive in the woods/blends in better.

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 12:36:13 pm »
I'm with SLIMBOB! Love the color change and wear it like a badge of honor. If you have a dark copper Osage bow then it's been around for awhile. Can't buy that color. Plus it's a lot less offensive in the woods/blends in better.

have to agree with both these fellas.
when i first started making osage bows, i too wanted to attempt to keep that bright color.
but over time i have grown to really appreciate the change
wild women don't get the blues

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 12:40:30 pm »
I personally agree with most here I like the transformation of color.If you want that lighter color maybe try some mulberry.Maybe that changes too though.Most would will get darker with age just that hedge does it more.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 02:18:21 pm »
Mulberry will darken just like osage. As a matter of fact old mulberry is hard to differentiate from old osage except for the physical weight.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline cornus

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 02:57:51 pm »
This is a freshly cut red mulberry.
 osage not growing here

and a dry
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 03:07:41 pm by cornus »

Offline occupant

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 06:28:56 pm »
I am making a heavier one of mulberry at the same time. The osage one will be for a daughter and my girlfriend to shoot, they like the bright color that it is now. I'll look for a finish with a high uv block and see over time how it works. Thankyou all for the answers/replies.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 06:57:25 pm »
Dear Occupant,

(always wanted to say that)  All else fails, you can just make new bows and trade off the old ones when they get too dark!  That's why I don't have any dark osage bows at my house even though I love the darker colors.

-John
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

blackhawk

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 07:00:27 pm »
Actually I am going to have to disagree with everyone that said you can't keep that electric yellow. There's two ways. One is to sand the bow every few months. And the other is to take a scrap piece of fresh cut osage to your local paint store so they can match the color in paint and paint it..lol. >:D

But I'm a patina man myself 8)